Planning Support Officer
Job reference number: 044691
Contract type: Permanent
Position Type - Full Time
Salary: £38,103 per annum
Closing date: 2 January 2024 at 23:59
Interview date: 22 January 2024 (may be subject to change)
About the role
Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation (OPDC)
This is your opportunity to help shape Old Oak and Park Royal, London’s largest Opportunity Area and one of the most exciting and ambitious regeneration projects in the UK. OPDC is one of only two of the Mayor of London’s Development Corporations and spans three London boroughs, the Park Royal industrial estate and is home to the new High Speed 2 and Elizabeth line station, the only place where these two major new rail lines meet. OPDC is leading the planning and regeneration of this emerging new district with the potential to deliver many thousands of new homes and jobs over the coming years.
What we’re looking for
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to join OPDC’s Planning Service in the Enforcement and Compliance team as a Planning Support Officer on a permanent contract. The role would suit a planning graduate or candidate wanting to progress to be a Planner. We are open to candidates with varied backgrounds provided they have a keen interest in planning process and a willingness to learn.
The successful candidate will assist with the management and monitoring of developer financial contributions arising from both CIL and S106s legal agreement using the Exacom Suite, as well the administration of enforcement cases, assisting with the issue and service of planning enforcement notices and the processing of enforcement appeals. This role also involves cross working with the Development Management (DM) team, receiving planning applications, acting as a first point of contact for the applicant, carrying out checks to validate applications, and preparing consultation documents for the public.
You believe strongly in working flexibly as part of a team, managing your own workload and delivering successful outcomes. Experience in a business support role, including office systems and records management experience is desirable. A general understanding of national, regional and London planning and development issues would assist a candidate undertaking this role. Knowledge of Agile APAS and/or Exacom would also be an advantage but OPDC can provide training to the right candidate. There may be the potential, following successful probation and an internal application, for sponsorship on a Planning Masters course or a Planning Apprenticeship.
- Coordinate the receipt of planning applications into the Corporation, acting as a first point of contact for the applicant, carrying out a check to validate the application, logging into the case management system and preparing papers for consideration by the Development Management team.
- Receive pre-application requests, give advice on OPDC process and coordinate arrangements as required.
- Coordinate public consultation exercises for planning applications and planning policy; including the production of site notices, consultation letters and press notices and logging consultation responses.
- Assist in the data entry to Exacom or other means of developer financial contributions arising from both CIL and S106s.
- Assist with the logging of enforcement cases, the issue and service of planning enforcement notices and processing of enforcement appeals.
- Provide information to, and/or answer queries from the public and stakeholders, relating to planning policy and development management.
- Maintain OPDCs development management system and Exacom system and produce performance data on planning applications and financial contributions for the Director and other professional staff and prepare information for external organisations including regional and national government.
- Coordinate and prepare responses to requests for information, such as Mayor’s Question Time, FOI requests for sign-off by the Head of Development Management or Director. Work across professional boundaries and OPDC directorates to contribute to the development of non-planning strategy and the wider success of the Corporation.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external contacts, to represent the Planning Policy function, and the wider Corporation’s objectives in a positive, professional and engaging way.
This role is based at Brent Civic Centre (32 Engineers Way, Wembley, HA9 0FJ.
OPDC staff are hybrid working up to 3 days a week in our offices and remotely depending on their role. As part of this, you will need to split your time between home working and coming into the office
Application Process & Additional Information
Please note all applications for this vacancy must be submitted via our online recruitment system. We do not accept CVs alone for this role.
Please upload a Cover Letter with a maximum of 1500 words to the ‘Additional Documents’ section of the form, ensuring you address the following technical requirements and competencies in your Cover Letter. Word or PDF format preferred and do not include any photographs or images. Please ensure your CV and Cover Letter are saved with the job reference number as part of the naming convention (E.g., “CV – applicant name - 012345).
London's diversity is its biggest asset and we strive to ensure our workforce reflects London's diversity at all levels. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority ethnic candidates and disabled candidates who are currently underrepresented in our workforce.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We would welcome applications from candidates who are seeking part time work as this role is open to job share.
In addition to a good salary package, we offer an attractive range of benefits including 30 days’ annual leave, interest free season ticket loan, interest free bicycle loan and a career average pension scheme. There may be the potential, following successful probation and an internal application, for sponsorship on a Planning Masters course or a Planning Apprenticeship.
On this recruitment campaign, as part of OPDC’s continuing commitment to be an inclusive and equal opportunity employer we will be removing personal identifiable information from CVs and covering letters that could cause discrimination.
Reasonable adjustment will be made to working arrangements to accommodate a person with a disability who otherwise would be prevented from undertaking the work.
Application closing date: 2 January 2024 at 23:59.
If you have a question about the role or would like to discuss it informally, please feel free to contact James Hughes at email@example.com to arrange a call.
We will make every effort to give you as much notice as possible, however some interviews/assessments could be organised at short notice.
Apply link: https://tfl.taleo.net/careersection/gla26opdc_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=044691&tz=GMT%2B00%3A00&tzname=Europe%2FLondon