Why work for the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead takes pride in its exceptional team of dedicated professionals who are passionate about providing quality services to the community.
The council values a collaborative and inclusive work environment, fostering creativity and innovation in all aspects of its operations.
Joining the team means being part of a forward-thinking organisation that continually strives to improve and make a positive impact on the community.
The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is in a great location, with a fantastic environment – It has easy access to London (Elizabeth Line), beautiful countryside, and amazing heritage. An environment covering Wind in the Willows to The Crown.
Why do you want this role
Because you can make a real difference in this busy Borough where there is a great deal happening.
- A recently adopted local plan (2022).
- Strategic and large allocated development sites.
- Commitment to ensuring that future developments are at the forefront in terms of design quality, sustainability and maximising the provision of affordable housing in the Borough.
- High quality natural environment.
- A team of Conservation Officers working with nationally, regionally and locally important heritage assets.
- A very active Enforcement team.
- Interesting, varied, and challenging workload at all levels.
- Hybrid working – with flexibility.
- Support from the Assistant Director and team leaders 4 DM teams.
- The opportunity to develop and grown your career.
In this pivotal and influential role, you will head up the Development Management function and will deputise for Assistant Director of Place - Planning.
You will be responsible for a highly motivated and enthusiastic team who will be looking to you for leadership and support. Aside from providing a breadth and depth of planning expertise, we’ll need you to demonstrate a firm commitment to individual and team development, whilst retaining a clear focus on providing a high quality and responsive service.
Key to your success in this role will be your planning expertise, including experience of large scale developments and regeneration schemes, public enquiries, negotiating complex agreements and up to date knowledge of planning legislation.
You’ll be a leader whose expertise will enable you to establish credibility, as well as engender support and take your team to the next level. Equally you’ll value the input of individuals and be committed to their development and progression.
Aside from the above, you’ll be skilled in working at a political level – understanding members’ roles, as well as how to engage and influence them.
In your role, we want you to feel supported, challenged and rewarded. You will benefit from our family friendly policies including flexible and agile working, generous leave entitlement, as well as access to the Local Government pension scheme and other staff benefits.
Closing date: 17 December 2023