We have an exciting opportunity for a Team Leader - Development Management, to join our Planning team based in Braintree, Essex. We offer flexible working arrangements with a mix of home and office working. Do you have extensive planning knowledge, experience of working in a Planning Development Management Team, and membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute, (or are eligible for membership)? Are you ready for a challenging yet stimulating, varied and rewarding role with a fantastic team? Then we would love to hear from you.
This is a new post within the team, and with a strong and supportive management structure behind you, you’ll play a key part in helping us achieve our aims and assist in driving forward our vision to shape the District and maintain a resilient and high performing team. You will be fully supported in the role, and we will invest and support the successful candidate with their continued professional learning and development.
This is an exciting time to work for Braintree. The District will continue to grow significantly in the coming years and we are looking to embrace this challenge to deliver well-designed new homes, jobs and the infrastructure required to support this growth, whilst being careful to preserve the character and quality of the District.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic and ambitious planning service. As a Team Leader, you will have the skills to lead, coach and mentor a team of 4-5 professional planning officers. You will have delegated authority to sign off reports and decisions for a range of planning applications, pre-application applications and appeal statements. You will be comfortable presenting and leading at Planning Committee and capable of delivering excellent customer service.
The experience and skills you will bring:
- Planning degree or equivalent qualification and eligibility for RTPI Membership (Essential).
- Relevant experience in a range of Development Management work with a Local Planning Authority, including appeals, reporting to Committee and other formal and informal meetings (Essential).
- Experience of negotiating Section 106 agreements (Essential).
- Experience in a range of Development Management (DM) work (within the LPA or private sector), including complex applications, appeals and providing pre application advice (Essential).
- Experience of managing/leading a team of staff (Desirable).
- Understanding of Planning Law and National Planning Policies and Guidance relating to Development Management.
- Ability to interpret plans and understand related information.
- Ability to prepare clear written reports/statements fit for the relevant audience.
- Ability to present reports to public/member meetings.
- Experience of working successfully with elected members within political frameworks, ideally within a democratic public sector context.
- Experience of developing effective partnerships with key stakeholders and external bodies.
- Management skills/aptitude including the ability to coach and develop a team of Planning Officers.
- Current UK Driving Licence and access to a car.
If you would like an informal chat about the above role please call Christopher Paggi, Planning Development Manager on 01376 551414 Ext. 2548 or e mail email@example.com.
Why choose Braintree District Council?
Braintree District Council is an ambitious and forward-thinking authority with a vision of creating a great place for our residents and businesses.
As a Council our role is as a guardian of the place and its people; where residents live well in healthy and resilient communities; a well-connected district with high-quality homes delivered with the infrastructure and a place which attracts and provides good employment opportunities.
We are becoming one of the fastest growing Districts in the East of England with three growing towns, London just 45 minutes away and the district located directly between the international transport centres of Stansted Airport and Harwich and Felixstowe International Ports. We have a deserved track record for delivering and a strong reputation within the business community.
Braintree District Council is a great place to work. We pride ourselves on our creative and innovative approach which is led by our staff. We are committed to having an engaged workforce who understand our strategy and how they can help deliver it.
What benefits do we offer?
*We promote and encourage hybrid and flexible working arrangements subject to business needs *Local Government Defined Benefit Pension Scheme *Free Car Parking *Health and Wellbeing Programme *Employee Discount Scheme *Employee Assistance Programme including counselling
* Generous holiday/leave including the option to purchase extra holiday * Excellent learning and Development opportunities * Career Pathways *Competitive pay and benefits * Extensive health and wellbeing programme
Closing date for receipt of applications: Midnight on Monday 27th November 2023
Interviews will be held in week commencing 27th November 2023