West Northamptonshire Council is a new Unitary Authority covering the areas of Northampton, Towcester, Brackley and Daventry. As a brand new authority you will be joining us as we move from being three separate districts, into a single department, with brand new ICT and modern ways of working. We are embracing hybrid working to get the best out of everybody, and have a good blend of individuals at the start of their careers in planning alongside those who bring with them experience in our team, all with a positive approach to delivering growth and prosperity. We are looking for enthusiastic and highly motivated Planners to join that growing team to help shape our journey and destination.
Northamptonshire is perfectly situated at the heart of the country with excellent transport links and is home to some of the most beautiful countryside in England. Here you can find miles of glorious countryside walks, cycle paths, picturesque villages and stately homes. Our residents and visitors have access to a wealth of leisure facilities alongside plenty of cultural activities including museums, galleries and theatres. The area is facing a high level of growth and Planning is at the heart of the Council's vision to build on the existing qualities of the area.
The District offers an exciting mixture of urban and rural planning comprising a wide range of historic buildings and conservation areas, with growing town centres with exciting regeneration projects and tranquil rural areas. The Council area includes Silverstone Circuit and Park, which is part of Motorsport Valley and home of the F1 British Grand Prix, the University of Northampton, and is also part of the Golden Triangle of Logistics with two Rail Freight Interchanges and we are home to the Northampton Saints rugby team!
We are an authority that puts the environment first and considers the carbon cost in all of our own decision-making to help us shape a cleaner and greener West Northants.About the role(s)
Are you looking for your next exciting challenge?
We are seeking Planners to join our busy and friendly planning policy team to help deliver these aims. You will be expected to be passionate about delivering high quality and well-designed developments and to provide professional advice and information to the Council and public on planning policy matters. The Council is in the early stages of producing a new strategic plan for the area, these roles provide an opportunity to input into this plan and help the council achieve its objectives. In addition, the posts offer a variety of other tasks including supporting local communities in the production of neighbourhood plans and village design statements and advising on the policy implications of major and complex planning applications. About you
We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees including:
- To be successful in the role you will:
- Be able to evidence that you meet all the essential and desirable criteria outlined in the Job Description
- Be an experienced and capable planning professional
- Bring a range of skills and experience to the role
- Have experience in dealing with a wide range of planning policy issues
- Have a positive approach to problem solving, providing innovative solutions and creating opportunities
- Be well organised, thrive under pressure and have experience of handling a diverse & varied workload
- Be focused on delivering measurable outcomes, you will be a flexible self-starter, that is dedicated to a high level of results
- Have a good track record of working with people at all levels, establishing mutually beneficial relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and partners.
- 27 days annual leave per year (pro rata for part time employees) plus bank holidays, increasing to 32 after 5 years' continuous service and annual leave purchase scheme
- Flexible working
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have a free "Employee Assistance Programme" run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities
For further information regarding these posts please see Job/Description/Person Specification and General Information for Applicants.
For an informal discussion about these posts, please contact:
Alan Munn - Planning Policy and Conservation Manager (01327 322249).