This is a great opportunity to work in the Flexible Casework Team in the Major Infrastructure Team in Natural England. This team is focused on handling our portfolio of highest priority development and infrastructure casework in Area Teams. Through engaging with stakeholders on developments in more non-statutory pre-application work we will deliver better environmental outcomes and customer service. As other higher priority planning casework emerges the Team’s casework portfolio will flex and change to ensure we are managing the highest priority casework. The team will be involved in our normal cost recovery processes to support its costs.
The Senior Adviser will work on high priority major developments and infrastructure casework on land and sea and play an important part in shaping Natural England’s responses, helping to secure sustainable development and opportunities for the natural environment.
In the Flexible Casework Team, the postholder will be embedded in our Area Teams focused on a selective number of our highest priority cases, responding to planning consultations/ marine licence applications and environmental assessments. Working with Area team colleagues they will provide advice on planning, infrastructure and environmental assessment processes internally and externally. The Senior Adviser will work closely with a number of our internal teams to ensure that all aspects of casework are well managed, including risks, legal challenges, communications and stakeholder management.
The postholder will work with our planning Advisers and Specialists to contribute to wider networks, building effective working relationships with national teams and other Area Teams. As a Senior Adviser you will be expected to be a role model for Natural England’s ways of working.
Key Tasks/Principal Accountabilities
- Provide technical advice to Area teams on casework and spatial plans including environmental impact and habitat regulations assessments.
- Provide technical advice to Area teams to support the effective case handling and delivery of timely and evidence-based advice of major infrastructure and other planning casework, (including offshore wind), working with lead advisers, national specialists, principal advisers, and managers, and attending meetings and hearings as appropriate.
- Providing guidance and support in the resolution of specific case issues/thematic areas
- Working with Area Team case leads to identify and manage risks and issues, escalating and briefing upwards as required
- On individual casework proactively engaging with key partners and customers to ensure effective communications and excellent stakeholder relationships.
- Advise and support Area teams in the effective use of cost recovery practices to ensure the team is supporting its costs
- Participating in relevant internal networks to build effective working relationships, exchange information and develop best practice.
- Developing capability and capacity of Area Team case teams through mentoring, coaching, and contributing to relevant learning and development opportunities especially in the delivery of major casework and Natural England’s advice on Nationally Significant Infrastructure projects (NSIPs)
Please apply via the apply on button