OVERVIEW OF JOB ROLE:
We are seeking a forward thinking, pro-growth and solutions led Principal Development Management Officer to join an expanding team at Be First to take a lead on some of the largest development schemes in east London whilst also supporting and mentoring junior planners within the team.
Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional planning super service. This role sits within Development Management and you will work closely with the Deputy Chief Planning Director, colleagues in Transport, Infrastructure & Policy Planning, Design, Members and LBBD’s Head of Planning Assurance.
Key responsibilities will be (but are not limited to):
- To contribute to the delivery of a ‘best nationally’ planning service
- Lead on all types of development management projects including pre-application, application and appeal work, particularly in respect of complex major development schemes.
- Preparation of detailed written and oral reports and briefings, including some evening work.
- Make high quality planning assessments having regard to relevant planning policy which deliver good growth for local residents
- Manage a complex workload alongside some supervision and support of junior employees and support to senior colleagues.
- Liaise with the public, developers and a wide range of public and private bodies, providing technical and procedural advice that problem-solves and ‘adds value’.
KEY SKILLS and OUTCOMES
Ideally, we are looking for an individual who:
- A recognised degree in Town Planning and sufficient post qualification experience to qualify for membership of RTPI or a related degree and ability to gain entry to course leading to a professional qualification
- Contributes to a results-orientated, customer-focused working culture that embraces a ‘right first time’ approach.
- Demonstrates relevant experience in the planning and / or development and property sector.
- Loves the built environment and recognises that good planning is not driven solely, or even primarily, by the words on a page.
- Is a motivated, self-starter with a willingness to learn.
- Has a keen attention to detail whilst being flexible and solutions driven.
- Is a team player who works effectively with others.
- Has good IT skills.
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
Competitive salary range of £44,000 - £55,000 plus company benefits including 30 days annual leave, pension and eligibility for performance related bonus.
Right now, we are mostly working from home and are committed to provide remote and flexible working arrangements on an ongoing basis. Our office is at Maritime House, Barking.
In order to apply, please submit to lauren.tipple@befirst.London by 30th May 2022 a CV supported by a covering letter of no more than 2 sides of A4 outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role. You can do this by clicking on the Apply button below.
Be First will review applications as received and reserves the right to end its recruitment to these roles prior to the 30th May 2022 where an exceptional candidate presents themselves.