Principal Planning Officer (Development Management)
Salary range: £46,392 - £51,444 per annum
Full Time, Permanent
Be part of the most dynamic and exciting planning department in the UK. Hammersmith & Fulham offers career opportunities that are difficult to find elsewhere being based in Central London it’s a vibrant area with one of the highest-performing planning departments in the country. We deal with some of the country’s biggest developers and regeneration sites, while working closely with residents and a range of stakeholders.
This is a challenging and rewarding role working dynamically as part of an area team, supporting the manager and using your delegated powers to sign off applications. You’ll be a trusted senior member with excellent interpersonal skills and a responsive sounding board for your team with contributions to workloads, deadlines, mentoring, recruitment, and new ideas. This position also includes a cross team role which allows a variety of work across the Borough rather than being based in just one team.
In addition to leading on major and strategic applications on some of the more complex sites in the borough, the role involves the day-to-day supervision and development of career grade officers. This role requires a proven track record of dealing with major and complex applications as you will be expected to lead on strategic schemes as well as signing off cases. You will need good written and oral communication skills and be able work collaboratively both within the organisation and with external organisations.
You should have an ability to handle conflicting pressured situations whilst putting forward cohesive logical planning arguments on behalf of the Council. You should be able to effectively manage a caseload with multiple deadlines.
We have a supportive management team to help nurture our staff and this job represents an opportunity to develop a range of planning skills including enhancing negotiation as well as mentoring skills. It’s a great opportunity to develop your skills, experience and career.
Please refer to the Job Description for more information.
- Manage a caseload and evaluate and make sound recommendations on the planning merits of complex development proposals and projects.
- Responsibility for managing and mentoring more junior officers and delegated authority to sign-off planning applications.
- Provide effective support across planning and wider council teams including validation, enforcement investigations and presentation at planning committee.
- Responsibility for ensuring planning fees and other sources of income are correctly calculated and processed for your caseload.
- Promote resident and customer satisfaction when delivering services.
- Develop the full range of professional skills and knowledge to satisfy the requirements of the post.
Contact details for an informal discussion: Roy Asagba-Power, Team Leader, on 07776 672344 or via email: ROY.ASAGBA-POWER@LBHF.GOV.UK
Closing date: 1 June 2022
To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Now’ button.