Our Planning Services Development Management Team is looking for a Principal Planning Officer (Deputy Team Leader) to assist us in delivering strategic regeneration initiatives and high-quality sustainable development, and to support our housing and job growth targets.
What will be expected from me?
- To have in-depth knowledge of planning legislation, the latest national planning policy, guidance, urban design, placing making and planning procedures.
- To have knowledge and experience of preparing and presenting evidence at Public Inquiry, Hearing and/or Examination
- To have experience of working within Development Management and have managed and negotiated large-scale major development proposals with substantial infrastructure requirements.
What I might be doing?
- Project managing significant and complex strategic and major planning applications across the district;
- Providing pre-application advice to prospective applicants for major and complex development schemes;
- Developing Planning Performance Agreements; and acting as a lead officer for major development proposals;
- Preparing and presenting reports to the Planning & Highways Committee, and representing the Council as an expert witness at Informal Hearings and Public Inquiries;
- Developing service improvement initiatives;
- Supporting the Development Management Team Leaders and Service Manager;
- Managing, motivating and mentoring staff within the teams; and helping to maintain and improve service performance;
- Reviewing the case work of officers and authorising decisions on planning applications under the Council’s officer scheme of delegation.
- Have a relevant professional qualification (MRTPI is desirable).
- The position offers line management opportunities therefore the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate leadership qualities and the ability to contribute positively to the continued development of the service.
What can I expect?
- This is a Full-Time post of 37 hours per week, with a mix of office and homeworking possible.
- Support and ongoing training.
- Discounted and subsidised public transport
- The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Great range of benefits including discounted membership to our excellent leisure facilities with free 12 weeks exercise program with a dedicated personal trainer, discounts for a range of retail, entertainment, health and leisure providers, cycle to work scheme and many more.
For an informal discussion or further information about this post, please contact our Team: