An outstanding opportunity has arisen for a Development Management Team Leader at a diverse and dynamic London Borough Council that is rapidly becoming a hub for growth and development.
This is an extremely high-profile position where you will be responsible for the front-line management of an efficient Area Team with good moral overseeing 7 officers reporting directly in to the Head of Development Management.
Your primary focus will be on the strategic management of the team involving the allocation of cases including minor to strategic major applications, signing off reports, monitoring performance and presenting at committee.
You will ensure that the team deliver high-quality scheme through the provision of management support and finding good development focused outcomes through innovative thinking and provision of sound technical advice designed to unblock complex planning issues stalling the town planning process.
Moreover, you will contribute to and assist with the development and implementation of service improvement initiatives, income generation through the negotiation of high level PPA’s as well as fostering good relationships with members and key stakeholders.
- Manage an Area team consisting of 7 Planners
- Monitor budgets and allocate resources to ensure compliance and meet statutory obligations
- Allocate a diverse range of planning applications including minor, complex, major and strategic applications
- Monitor performance and ensure that applications are processed with statutory time frames
- Implement and deliver service improvements
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Development Management
- Lead on high-profile strategic pre-app and PPA negotiations to ensure that major development schemes match the borough’s ambitions for regeneration and growth
- Identify development needs of direct reports through personal and professional development
- Undertake recruitment
- Represent council at committee and public inquiries etc
- Undertake Member Briefings and engage with key stakeholders
- Trouble shoot, identify and unblock bottle necks in the planning system
As a key figure within the corporate structure, you will have acquired practical experience Development Management Team Leader, Deputy Team Leader or Principal Planner who has some management responsibility within their existing role.
You will have a degree in Town & Country Planning and as well an in depth practical knowledge of planning legislation and will have led on the delivery of a range of applications from minor to large scale major applications through the planning system, with excellent written, communication and interpersonal skills.
Moreover, the successful candidate will have natural drive and enthusiasm for planning and an aptitude for finding innovative and creative solutions that may arise during the planning process.
For further details or an informal conversation, please feel free to contact Jeremy Wright at Macdonald & Company on 0207 318 5263 or email: email@example.com.