Town Planning Officer ( Senior Caseworker L3B)
Directorate Service Delivery Vacancy type Permanent full time
Salary: £34,895 - £39,961
Closing date: 31st January 2022
Vacancy Number: MDC001683
Grade of Post: H
Location: Offering flexible new ways of agile working with the Council Offices based at Princes Road, Maldon available as required.
Hours: Up to 37 hours per week (opportunity for job share / part-time hours)
- Flexible working options available
- 25 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays)
- Free on-site parking
- Payment of one annual professional fee such as RTPI (if applicable)
- Automatic enrolment in the generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme and Mental Health First Aiders
- Free flu vaccination each year
- New car salary sacrifice scheme
- Discounted local leisure center membership
- Access to a range of work/life balance policies.
- Health and wellbeing activities throughout the year
Would you relish the opportunity to work in 'The Times' best countryside location and still be within easy reach of London? The historic and scenic district of Maldon, which includes internationally recognised nature reserves, historic buildings and beautiful countryside may be the location for you.
Maldon District Council is seeking to employ a planning enforcement professional to join our busy and dynamic Development Management team on a permanent, full-time, part-time or job share basis.
You should have a sound and thorough knowledge of Town Planning legislation with extensive practical experience of all aspects of the planning Enforcement process, particularly with regards to planning applications, appeals and planning enforcement.
This is a great opportunity to continue your professional development and work towards a MSc in Town Planning (or other related area), which Maldon District Council will support you in through day release, regular case conferences and possible assistance with course fees.
About this role
- As one of our experienced Specialists at Maldon District Council, you will take responsibility for your assigned caseload, carry out enforcement investigations, prepare reports and make on a range of enforcement actions. You will also work with planning officers to consider the planning/enforcement merits of investigations and recommend appropriate way forward and outcomes based on the planning merits or identified harm.
- You will prepare enforcement appeal statements for decision/clearance with the Senior Specialist Coordinator or Lead Specialist for Development Management.
- You will act as a point of contact between Council Members and the service in relation to Planning Enforcement issues and respond to service-related requests, complaints and FOI requests.
- You will provide support to other officers within the Enforcement Team, planning and other internal teams and guide customers through the Enforcement process.
You will need to be able to:
- Communicate clearly and be confident in communicating with a wide range of people at all levels
- Give both informal and formal presentations to a wide range of stakeholders
- Construct concise, articulate reports presenting arguments clearly and persuasively
- Prioritise and effectively manage your workload
- Have methodical and thorough approach to routine tasks and when dealing with detailed work
- Use initiative within own role as appropriate
- Meet short deadlines whilst retaining quality through effective time management and reviewing progress
- Commit to the provision of a high-quality service to customers
We are looking for people who:
- Have a relevant degree or equivalent qualification in Town Planning
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience working within Planning Enforcement or Development Management
- Are ideally a member of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
- Are self-motivated and can work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Having a positive, solution-finding approach to work whilst achieving targets and meeting deadlines
- Can demonstrate that they are team players, appreciate the corporate objectives of the organisation and have with a clear commitment to delivering a customer focused service
- Are proficient in the use of Microsoft applications and have experience using local authority software packages (ideally Uniform and Civica)
- Assist in the effective delivery of the Council’s planning enforcement function to agreed performance standards to ensure the integrity of the planning enforcement service
- Can Investigate, consider and report on alleged breaches of planning control in order, as appropriate, to bring about formal enforcement action
- Undertake formal interviews in accordance with the rules of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (PACE)
- Deal with all forms of correspondence and enquiries from the public, other Council Services, business groups, Councillors, Members of Parliament and other organisations relating to the enforcement of planning controls
- Can provide expert advice and guidance on planning enforcement matters
- Can prepare enforcement reports and the drafting of formal notices together with appeal and witness statements as required
- Can act as expert witness at public inquiries and hearings, court proceedings and attend planning committee as required
- In addition to the prioritising and processing of a varied caseload of enforcement cases, the post-holder will be expected to assist the Lead Specialist Development Management in the effective performance of the Planning Enforcement Team to ensure corporate objectives and priorities are achieved
- Can liaise with colleagues in the Development Management and Planning Policy Teams; and additionally, those in other service areas including external agencies and partner organisations with enforcement functions to enable a corporate approach to regulatory control
- Can maintain professional competence by assimilating knowledge of new legislation and guidance relating to the enforcement of planning controls and other planning matters
- Is able to attend the office for team meetings, training and development as required
- Has access to a vehicle and can complete site visits across the district
For an informal discussion about this position
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Hannah Wheatley: 01621 732646 or Michael Johnson: 01621 732836