Your new organisation:
BCP Council have strong ambitions to grow. Born out of Local Government Reorganisation in 2019, Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole have come together to form the 10th largest urban local authority in England. It is a place where culture and heritage meet innovation and modernity, village meets town, country meets coast, creativity meets digital, businesses flourish and people thrive. The potential for investment and economic growth is huge. With over 15 miles of beautiful, world renowned coastline, the area has excellent transport links, with rail and road connections nationally and to London as well as international flights from Bournemouth Airport. Its communities are vibrant and diverse, with an outstanding quality of life, where everyone plays an active role. They are a globally recognised coastline of opportunity, where people love to live, learn, work, explore, invent and relax. BCP has a culture of openness to ideas and experimentation in how they do things, and welcome imaginative, creative and ambitious thinking. BCP know that they’re not the highest performing service at present, but are improving fast and want people to join them on their journey and be a part of their exciting new future.
Your new role
BCP is seeking curious, creative and ambitious individuals to be a part of their journey, in planning for the future growth and prosperity of the region. They are looking to welcome candidates with the desire to make an impact and feel confident sharing their ideas. Their team ethos is one which encourages collaboration and thoughtful contribution towards how the Council delivers their planning service, to best serve the interests of the community and region.
Within your role as in the Development Management team, dependent on grade, your accountabilities will include:
- Appraise and make recommendations and decisions on a wide range of planning applications relevant to your grade and experience; ranging from simple householder applications through to complex and major applications against the Local Plan(s), regulations, and legislative frameworks, to ensure that applications are compliant with requirements and BCP Council’s needs
- Provide planning related advice and guidance to enable all customers and interested parties to submit development applications that will be aligned to the Local Plan(s) and requirements and therefore more likely to be approvable
- Respond to planning related enquiries from the public, Councillors, prospective developers and all other customers to deliver timely and constructive advice and information. Provide advice and support to Planning Officers to ensure appropriate and effective service is delivered to the required standard
- Conduct public consultations in line with Council policies to ensure that all parties affected by potential development can provide comment and appropriate input
- Represent the Council and deal with planning appeals and any relevant public inquiries as a case officer, to defend the Council’s decisions regarding application approvals or denials against the planning policies.
- Negotiate with external agencies and developers to ensure that defined environmental betterment and housing quotas are delivered in planning applications
- Present applications to the Planning Committee to enable effective decision-making by the Committee.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Development Plan and supplementary documents, feeding back on what works and what doesn’t to ensure that planning policies can be applied successfully and improved
What you'll need to succeed
- Degree in Town Planning or related degree and / or suitable experience
- Member or eligibility to a member of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Experience of working in development management on cases relevant to your grade, as well as an understanding of planning policy activity and enforcement processes
- Knowledge of planning legislation such as Town and Country Planning Act, and governmental planning framework
- Understanding of the development management process
- Ability to translate complex information, provide professional advice and guidance, and to present information to a range of stakeholders in a clear manner
- Ability to manage a case load of planning applications, relevant to your grade
- Substantial experience in acting as an expert witness and senior planning expert in complex and sometimes controversial cases (Senior)
What you'll get in return
- Flexible, tailored and accommodating hybrid working arrangements to suit a wide variety of applicants
- Access to newly modern, newly refurbished office hub location (expected completion in Spring 2022)
- Excellent pension scheme
- Relocation packages available up to £8,000
- Cycle to work scheme
- Family support services
- Wellbeing, Employee support and Counselling services
- Supportive and collaborative working environment in which to develop your career