Job Title: Development Services Officer
Closing Date: 07/11/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
Proactive, ambitious and hardworking, you will work with fellow officers within the team, to deliver an effective development management service for Milton Keynes Council. You will work closely with others, helping to shape the Planning Services to deliver physical, social and economic growth for Milton Keynes. The role involves supporting case officers in determining planning applications, with opportunities to develop and progress in the role, and take on a small caseload of your own applications. This role would therefore be a good fit for someone new to planning, ideal for graduates or those with an interest in planning as a career, who are looking for their first Development Management role. This post is advertised following internal promotion and a positive restructure to create new roles and new opportunities for progression within the Development Management team, and to meet the high demand and ambitions for growth with the borough. The post is a fantastic opportunity to join a busy dynamic team and take the first steps in your planning career and is being offered initially as a two-year fixed-term post.
- Supporting the work of the Development Management Team to individually and collectively deliver effective Development Management and continuous improvement to the service.
- Champion equality and diversity across the Council and the wider Borough.
- Provide technical and general planning process advice and guidance to customers, colleagues and external agencies to meet service delivery requirements through following policy, procedures and protocols and supporting the application of best practice.
- Carry out validation checks on planning applications/notifications/submissions in accordance with national and local planning legislation, using professional judgement to determine if the required information has been supplied in a timely manner.
- Carry out administrative support duties including scanning, indexing, redaction processes and archiving in accordance with Data Protection and local procedures.
- The calculation, checking and financial recording of planning applications fees and other local charges.
- Assess and determine small planning applications such as Certificates of Lawful Development and tree applications.
- To ensure that the service is customer focused and responsive, delivering high levels of customer and stake holder satisfaction.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Outstanding customer service skills – for customers and colleagues
- Experience working in, and encouraging, a culture of continuous improvement - driving and supporting change.
- An ability to read plans to scale.
- Excellent written and confident verbal communication skills, including the handling emotive situations.
- Strong IT and organisational skills.
- A proactive nature and ability to work using own initiative – making constructive contributions.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Flexible working options, including ‘Smarter Working’ to work remotely for most of the time.
- IT equipment to work effectively remotely