Deputy Team Leader – Planning Applications
Salary from £35,865 pa to £46,701 pa depending on skills and experience – Plus lease car or cash alternative of £3,050pa
This role attracts an enhanced recruitment payment of up to 10% of salary payable in the first month of employment
Closing date: 02.11.2021
Ashford Borough is a largely rural borough located in the Garden of England. Along with traditional Kentish villages there is the historic town of Tenterden and the growing town of Ashford itself. There are two Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty protecting the rolling countryside. We are an ambitious and innovative authority seeking new ways of improving how we deliver services for residents. Ashford is a great place to work because our staff are committed, friendly and passionate.
Current major development includes the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet expansion, Chilmington Green; a development of up to 5750 quality homes and associated infrastructure, the provision of Junction 10A of the M20, Chapel Down Winery Brewery and the Picture House in the new Commercial Quarter. There are also plans to build a film/TV studios in the town.
Ashford’s Planning and Development Service has a long and proud record of driving high quality place making. This is strongly supported by elected members and acknowledged as an essential component in the delivery of successful and sustainable development and growth. The Council is forward thinking and ambitious in the way it serves its residents and businesses and is looking to be carbon neutral by 2030.
Due to the current post holder moving to pastures new an opportunity has arisen for the position of Deputy Team Leader. You will be one of 2no. Deputy Team Leaders taking a senior leading role in the team and be responsible to one of the 2 Team Leaders assisting the team with the delivery of high quality, customer focused, development management services.
This post will enable the successful candidate to gain a wide range of experience of different types and scales of planning applications. You will also have the opportunity to gain experience of presenting applications, and leading, at Planning Committee. You will also have line management responsibility.
Who are we looking for?
You will have a Degree in Planning/Planning Diploma/Professional qualification recognised by Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) or degree not recognised by the RTPI together with a recognised post-graduate qualification. In addition, you will have significant experience of a wide variety of planning applications including major and complex planning application and appeals. You will have experience of managing or mentoring more junior staff. The salary range allows for appointment dependent on appropriate qualifications and experience.
The Deputy Team Leader duties will include the following:
- Processing and assessing a range of planning applications, including major and/or more complex applications, taking a development proposal from pre-application negotiation/discussions through planning application to implementation, within agreed timescales, including negotiating planning obligations.
- Managing a small team of more junior officers and graduate planners
- Presenting applications to, and leading when relevant, Planning Committee
- Planning appeals
- Contributing to the review of processes and procedures for the delivery of the service and formulation and development of planning policy;
- Proactively contribute to the development of an exemplary planning service which is delivery focused and customer facing in its approach.
- Advising on matters relating to enforcement.
The post will have involvement with local people, politicians and a range of external organisations and will include some out of hours working.
The borough has an excellent quality of life with growing towns and breath-taking countryside. It’s close to the coast, has good schools, and its house prices are lower than much of the south east. London is just 38 minutes from Ashford by train and France just a 30 minute crossing away through the channel tunnel.
- Enhanced Recruitment Payment This role attracts an enhanced recruitment payment of up to 10% of salary payable in the first month of employment. Please contact Judy Janson on 01233 330205 for further details.
- Hybrid Working We support innovative, creative and collaborative working in a way that engenders knowledge sharing and relationship building.
- Salary-linked pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Oliver Peel, Team Leader – Planning Applications on 01233 330278 or Lucy Holloway, Development Management Manager – Planning Applications on 01233 330253.
To apply please visit our jobs page of our website by clicking on the Apply button below and complete and application.
Ashford Borough Council recognises the need to ensure the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults when they come into contact with the services we provide.