Are you looking for the next exciting challenge?
West Northamptonshire Council is a new Unitary Authority covering the areas of Northampton, Daventry, Towcester and Brackley. Planning is at the heart of the Council's vision to build on the existing qualities of the area to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Planner to join our busy and friendly Development Management Team.
- To be responsible for the processing of Development Management matters including the assessment and management of a varied case load of planning, advertisement, Listed Building consent; discharge of conditions applications; the provision of pre-application advice; the handling of appeals and general enquiries. To prepare reports for submission to the Development Management Team Leader and Planning Committee decisions.
- Provision of advice and guidance to customers and elected Members and negotiation with applicant, agents and other interested parties in respect of planning matters.
- To take a positive approach to pre-application enquiries and provide advice in accordance with the Council's policy on pre-application advice.
- Assist Planning Enforcement service in the investigation and resolution of breaches of planning control.
- To be pro-active in the delivery of a customer-focused service.
- Demonstrate a clear commitment to equality / diversity in both the delivery of services and to colleagues. Demonstrate awareness / understanding of equal opportunities and other people's behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs.
Experience, Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree in town planning or related subject
- Demonstrate undertaking of CPD to keep up with Planning Issues
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to negotiate and devise solutions to problems as part of the planning process
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external partners
- Good ICT skills
- Ability to work alone using own initiative and work as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise competing workloads and demands and to work to tight deadlines to achieve performance targets
- Ability and willingness to provide good quality and equitable customer service
- Keen to gain experience to become a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
- Full Driving Licence
Rewards and Benefits
- Flexible working arrangement
- Generous holiday allowance
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme
For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Nicky Scaife, Development Manager, on 07585 795836 / or Adam Smith, Development Management Team Leader, on 01604 838616 /