Are you looking for the next exciting challenge?
West Northamptonshire Council is a new Unitary Authority covering the areas of Northampton, Daventry, Towcester and Brackley. Planning is at the heart of the Council's vision to build on the existing qualities of the area to make West Northants a great place to live, work, visit and thrive.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Planner to join our busy and friendly Development Management Team.
- To be responsible for the processing of Development Management matters including the assessment and management of a varied case load of planning, advertisement, Listed Building consent with the emphasis on more complex cases; discharge of conditions applications; the provision of pre-application advice; the handling of appeals and general enquiries.
- To negotiate and project manage major/ complex planning and development proposals including EIA and the negotiation of S106, liaising/ consulting / engaging with internal and external partners and be the lead officer on such projects as necessary with support from Principal Planning Officers/ Team Leader/ Development Manager.
- To prepare reports for submission to the Development Management Team Leader and Planning Committee decisions.
- Provision of advice and guidance to customers and elected Members and negotiation with applicant, agents and other interested parties in respect of planning matters.
- To attend and advise members of the planning committee through appropriate recommendations.
- To represent the Council as an expert witness at appeal (public inquiries/ hearings)
- To assist in the guidance and development of the professional development of more junior members of the team in the delivery of a quality decision making environment.
- To assist in the preparation, consultation and monitoring of planning policy documents as part of the production of the Council's LDF documents.
- To take a positive approach to pre-application enquiries and provide advice in accordance with the Council's policy on pre-application advice.
- Assist Planning Enforcement service in the investigation and resolution of breaches of planning control.
- To be pro-active in the delivery of a customer-focused service.
- Demonstrate a clear commitment to equality / diversity in both the delivery of services and to colleagues. Demonstrate awareness / understanding of equal opportunities and other people's behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs.
Experience, Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree in town planning or related subject
- Post graduate RTPI accredited planning qualification or similar
- Chartered Membership of RTPI
- Experience working within Development Management or relevant consultancy experience
- Demonstrate undertaking of CPD to keep up with Planning Issues
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to negotiate and devise solutions to problems as part of the planning process
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external partners
- Good ICT skills
- Ability to work alone using own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritise competing workloads and demands and to work to tight deadlines to achieve performance targets
- Ability and willingness to provide good quality and equitable customer service
- Full Driving Licence
Rewards and Benefits
- A flexible working arrangement
- Generous holiday allowance
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme
For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Nicky Scaife, Development Manager, on 07585 795836 / or Adam Smith, Development Management Team Leader, on 01604 838616 /