Principal Planning Officer
My client is a London based Local Authority, who is currently seeking applications from talented and ambitious Principal Town Planners! They are currently offering this opportunity on an 8-month contract!
The development management service within the Planning Division is responsible for the determination of all planning and related applications received by the Council as Local Planning Authority. The service is provided through area-based planning teams!
The post requires senior professional input to determine a personal caseload of more complex planning applications within one of the teams, alongside wider input into related policy and programmes. The post holder may also be required to liaise and work with other officers or divisions within the Council to deliver high quality outcomes on more complex proposals. All officers are expected to support the continuous improvement and development of the team and the services that are provided by the Planning division. General Duties
- Supervision of case officers within the team on specific complex proposals.
- Direct line management of junior officers within the team.
- Provision of professional advice on complex planning issues relating to major planning applications and regeneration projects as required.
- Presentation of complex and strategic planning applications to Planning Committee.
- Prepare and review professional reports and formulate recommendation on complex Planning and related proposals for decision to the Planning Committee or by way of delegated process.
- Determination of planning applications as appropriate under the Scheme of Delegation.
- Manage project and planning application teams created in association with area or site specific planning and regeneration projects or programmes and ensure compliance with performance targets (secured through formal agreement or statutory requirement).
- Carrying out site visits to check existing features on and adjoining the site and the impact of the proposed development.
- Liaison with the other sections of the Regeneration and Planning Division, other Council Departments, and Government Departments.
- Negotiations with developers to achieve satisfactory proposals within the context of national, strategic and local policies, standards and guidelines.
- Preparation of appeal statements and proofs of evidence to justify the Council's decision, for consideration by written representations, informal hearing, or local inquiry.
- Assistance in the enforcement of planning control. Deputising for the team leader as required, including supervision of team members, allocation of work within the team, and monitoring performance.
- Attendance at, and presentation of evidence to, informal hearings and local inquiries as the Council's expert witness, and giving assistance to the Planning Inspector as required. Assistance at other Courts / tribunals on related matters, as required.
- Planning Degree or equivalent qualification / experience accredited by the RTPI or equivalent body.
- Substantial Development Management experience, including on major and complex planning applications.
- Previous experience in supervising and managing individuals advantageous.
- Full UK Driving licence desirable, and ability to undertake site visits and inspect application development sites safely.
- Knowledge of current Development Management practices, procedures, and legislation.
- Ability to prepare accurate and detailed reports on planning applications, statements, and proofs of evidence on planning appeals.
- Knowledge of, and familiarity with a computerised planning application and appeals processing system with knowledge of word and excel.
- Ability to examine and assess information on planning applications and appeals and other planning matters, and to present a balanced analysis of completing issues.
- Ability to negotiate with applicants and developers in order to achieve improvements to the quality and outcome of planning applications.
- Ability to supervise and motivate a team of planning officers and technical support; to include performance management of the group project.
For the ideal candidate my client is happy to offer a competitive hourly rate, an impressive benefits package as well as a flexible home working arrangement! For applications, please send your up to date CV to Megan Field at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 01792 365 104.