Are you motivated to work for an ambitious Organisation, here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive?
Here’s some information about us
We are here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive. Every staff member plays a part in our success and achievement through challenging what we do, how we do it and how we can do it better. Ideas are continuously encouraged, new ways of working are trialled and we apply learning through experience. Through our ‘one team’ approach, we work in an agile way to empower our staff to be able to make decisions that place our customers at the heart of what we do.
We are delivering our innovative and forward thinking Customer Connect Programme which is transforming the way we deliver services by maximising digital technology and putting customers at the heart of everything we do. The programme is improving services, enabling valued customers to do business with us in a simpler way. Our new operating model will see traditional roles working very differently. Continued development of our people is central to our success.
We are proud of South Lakeland District and we serve communities across a rural area that includes two national parks, with the majority of the stunning Lake District National Park in our district, as well as western parts of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. With friendly communities, low crime rate, cultural attractions and excellent motorway and West Coast Mainline links to the North West, South Lakeland rightly promotes itself as the ‘best place to live, work and explore.’
We Are South Lakeland.
Some details about the role
South Lakeland District Council is seeking to recruit a Level 2 Specialist – Planning Enforcement, within the Development Management Specialist service area. The post is based at the Council’s head offices in Kendal.
We are looking for an individual with:
- Degree in Planning or a related subject and Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- A positive individual with an interest in and experience of resolving disputes
- Well-developed investigative skills
- Well organised with highly developed written and oral communication skills
- A proven ability to meet strict deadlines
- Experience of working collaboratively with others to organise workloads and resolve problems
- Ability to read plans and scale drawings
- Preparation of evidence for litigation or similar
- Well-developed IT skills
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service
As part of a small planning team, this opportunity provides real scope for an individual to take on a pivotal role within compliance and enforcement, having a direct influence on the built environment within an exceptionally attractive part of Cumbria.
What we are looking for in you
- Following up on complaints, investigating potential breaches of planning regulations and legislation, conducting site visits, proposing solutions or using formal enforcement action when appropriate
- Carrying out compliance inspections of developments, ensuring that compliance with planning conditions are met within the District
- Composing written reports and statements in relation to enforcement investigations
- Drafting and serving planning contravention, breach of condition, untidy site and enforcement notices and injunctions
- Ensuring that duties are performed within the Council's policies and codes of conduct
- Representing the Council and Inquiries and Appeals when necessary
- Contributing to continuous improvement of the enforcement service by reviewing processes and procedures and developing and implementing positive changes
What we offer
- Being part of an innovative, forward thinking, supportive and solutions focused team
- Smart working – Working in a ways that gets the best outcomes
- Generous Annual Leave Entitlement (23 days holiday per annum + Bank Holidays (raising to 28 days after 5 years service))
- Flexi time – being able to accrue up to 13 additional flexi days + 5 additional banked flexi days per annum
- An attractive pension scheme
Equality of opportunity
We are fully committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want this to be reflected in the diversity of the people who work for us and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and identities including from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates as these groups are under-represented at SLDC, particularly at senior level. As part of our commitment to employing disabled people, all disabled candidates who meet the minimum requirement for vacancies will be guaranteed an interview.
Would you like to join us, share and develop the experience and above all, make a difference…?
For further information including the Role Profile and details of how to apply, please visit us at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/your-council/job-vacancies/
We are unable to accept CVs alone for job vacancies, however, they can be attached to the application form.
For an informal discussion about the role, please do not hesitate to contact Gareth Candlin in the first instance by e mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates that are shortlisted for interview will be informed by email.
Closing date for application: Sunday 01 August 2021
Interviews will be held: Week Commencing 09 August 2021