Salary: £35,745 – £44,863 pa (dependent upon experience and qualifications)
37 hours per week
Based: Lewes & Eastbourne
Lewes District Council and Eastbourne Borough Council have transformed to adapt how we offer our services to enable a first-rate customer service which maximises the use of technology, integrating services and systems across the two Councils.
The transformation includes having a joint Planning Policy service which will cover both Councils’ Local Planning Authority areas and as such the range of policy work in terms of Plan making and supplementary evidence work is exciting and diverse.
As Senior Planning Policy Officer you will have a crucial role in leading on the research and development of policy and supplementary supporting documents to support the development plan.
You will be working directly with Councillors, landowners, stake holders and colleagues to ensure that the Council’s ‘corporate plan’ is delivered through the Local Plan making stage.
This will involve delivering briefings, training sessions and producing written submissions and assessing the impact of specific application proposals in terms of their policy context.
The work is broad-ranging and fulfilling and requires strong interpretive and analytical skills along with exemplary written and communication skills. With new government agendas designed to improve the quality of the built environment through a stronger focus on sustainability, biodiversity, design and place making, we are looking to recruit someone with demonstrable interest and expertise in these areas as evidenced by a career and background in planning policy.
You must also have:
- A recognised planning qualification or directly relevant experience working in a related role in a planning policy setting.
- An ability to turn around a high casework volume to agreed deadlines and proven experience in policy making and supporting complex community and corporate projects.
- Excellent communication skills, to include the ability to generate clear, concise reporting concerning complex or controversial issues, to share complex specialist information with generalist audiences and to act as a positive ambassador for the two authorities.
In return, we offer a wide range of benefits on offer including:
- A flexible working environment, meaning you can work effectively at home or in the office.
- An excellent work/life balance
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Childcare vouchers
For more information about this role including details on how to apply, please click on the Apply button.
The closing date: Noon on 06 August 2021