Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
Planning magazine is the leading title for public sector professionals who operate the planning system, the developers who navigate it, and the pressure groups and communities aiming to influence it. Our website is visited by more than 50,000 unique users every month, and we have more than 6,500 paying subscribers.
The online editor’s role is to write, commission and edit the news stories that make up Planning’s daily email bulletin, as well as making sure Planning's website and daily and weekly bulletins have the dynamism and authority to drive growth in paid subscribers and registered, and highly engaged, readers.
Existing knowledge of the planning and/or built environment sectors would be helpful, but is not as important as an enthusiasm for the role and a willingness to become immersed in the subject matter.
- source, commission and edit news stories, including making sure that they do not present legal issues
- write online news, and (depending on workload) occasional longer-form articles
- compile and send out email bulletins to deadline, improving click-through and open rates
- liaising with colleagues to present Planning’s non-news content on the website to best effect
- liaising with colleagues and contributors to ensure that deadlines, house style and editorial policies are met
- curate Planning’s website to increase its use by subscribers and registered readers
- quality control of website content, including ensuring that all elements are up-to-date
- use online analytics to identify the online content that is most valued by our audience, using this to inform your commissioning and editing.
- contribute to the development of online editorial strategy
- sourcing and cropping news photos, and checking they can be used without copyright infringement
- writing the daily summary of other media coverage of planning matters
- work with other departments to promote Planning events and awards, and sponsored and promotional articles
- professional experience of news-writing. An ability to report complex issues accurately, quickly and in plain English is essential.
- news judgement
- strong copy-editing and headline-writing skills
- good commissioning, supervisory and communication skills, helping you to influence people that you do not manage
- strong time management and deadline-hitting skills
- an ability to structure and present online articles for maximum impact and accessibility
- well-organised and self-motivated; able to work without supervision when necessary
- good knowledge of CMS, and Google Analytics, or an aptitude to acquire it quickly
- curiosity about planning issues
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle
Why work with us?
Our people are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and our talented teams ensure we produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees. Thanks to them we have over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will impact world class brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
The Haymarket way
Our values aren’t just words – they’re the way we do things at Haymarket and influence our culture. Our team's success is fuelled by the innovation, creativity and expertise of our people. But more than that – it’s crucial for us to behave with integrity and respect: towards each other, towards our audiences and towards our clients and partners.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!