Salary: £28k - £35k per annum - depending on qualifications/experience
Working Arrangements: Full Time - 2 Year Fixed Term Appointment
NOTE - This role is offered as either a full-time role or as an apprenticeship
Location: Ebbsfleet, North Kent (with occasional travel)
About the Corporation:
In April 2015 the Government established the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation (EDC), an Urban Development Corporation with development management planning powers to deliver a new Garden City at Ebbsfleet in North Kent.
Ebbsfleet Garden City; where London meets the Garden of England is an exciting new community of up to 15,000 homes and many thousands of new jobs. Strongly supported by Central Government the EDC’s Board has set out a vision for the first new Garden City for 100 years. The Garden City is focused around Ebbsfleet International Railway Station and also embraces the existing communities of Swanscombe, Northfleet, Greenhithe and the adjacent towns of Dartford and Gravesend.
The EDC is working collaboratively with public and private sector partners and local stakeholders, investing in forward funding infrastructure and unblocking and accelerating development at pace. The Garden City is gathering momentum and over 2,500 new homes have been completed.
Further information can be accessed at https://ebbsfleetdc.org.uk/
The Corporation is now recruiting to the post of Planning Officer. This role is offered as either a full-time role or as an apprenticeship.
About the Role:
To contribute to the work of the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation in fulfilling its statutory role as Local Planning Authority (Development Management). The Planning Officer would have a case load of smaller development proposals/applications whilst also providing support to senior planning colleagues in the delivery of major schemes and corporate projects.
The post is a 2 year fixed term role required to support the ongoing delivery of the Garden City at an exciting time when workload within the EDC Planning Team is substantially increasing due to the number of ongoing and new planning proposals coming forward.
The successful candidate would be contributing directly to planning decisions affecting the Garden City and its residents, helping to shape the future of Ebbsfleet. Working at the Development Corporation provides a great opportunity for anyone who is keen to learn and develop as a planning professional working with a range of landowners and developers. The planning team work closely with a range of partners throughout the lifetime of a development to support the delivery of high quality schemes. The role would suit someone early in their career who is enthusiastic, proactive and keen to learn. The Corporation will support any learning required to fulfil the role.
EDC is committed to assisting people further their career and can offer this role as a
Level 7 (Masters) Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship.
If you have achieved the desired L6 relevant degree qualification in the past 3 years and have 1-year experience, you can study for your L7 through day release to London South Bank University (LSBU). This can be achieved over a 2-year period, with EDC and the Government paying the tuition fees through the apprenticeship route.
Further details of the qualification can be found here, noting the period is 2-years for those with the L6 already: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/chartered-town-planner-(degree)-v1-0
The post-holder will report to a Senior Planning Manager within the Planning Directorate.
Main Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
You will be required to:-
- Effectively and efficiently deal with a range of development proposals including providing pre-application advice, determining applications to meet statutory timescales and dealing with any post decision/delivery matters;
- Evaluate and make sound recommendations on the planning merits of development proposals by producing delegated and committee reports and presenting applications at planning committee where required;
- Engage with relevant developers and stakeholders to negotiate effectively on behalf of the EDC to ensure the delivery of high quality development;
- Assist with planning compliance and enforcement matters where required;
- Provide advice and information on planning issues to residents, developers and stakeholders;
- Prepare evidence for planning appeals as necessary;
- Ensure effective liaison with other functions within the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation, local councils and external agencies as appropriate;
- Provide direct and indirect support and assistance to colleagues in the Planning Team;
- Attend public meetings, site visits, inspections and exhibitions which may take place at evenings and weekends;
- Take reasonable care of own safety and to co-operate with managers/supervisors in complying with statutory health & safety duties; and
- Such other non-recurring duties appropriate to the post as may be directed.
How to Apply:
Please click on the Apply button below to be taken to our website, where you will find further information on the role, including a full candidate pack and details on how to apply.
Closing Date: 5pm, Tuesday 15 June
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on 6 or 7 July. Interviews are expected to take place using video conferencing.