This is an excellent opportunity to deal with more complex applications in our busy planning service that covers the two districts. You will gain varied experience in dealing with proposals in our growth areas, markets towns, villages and most attractive countryside, which are all subject to significant development pressure.
The economy of the area is thriving, with a growing entrepreneurial and business start-up sector, a highly skilled workforce and world class research and development.
You will play a key role in shaping the future of our area and work closely with our team of senior and major application officers. You will be responsible for the effective processing of major planning applications in accordance with best practice, local and government targets and also in aiding colleagues who deal with some of the larger scale and most complex proposals within both districts. You will also be involved in the provision of professional advice on a wide range of planning matters and ensuring that you provide a development team approach to the customer.
Two temporary posts are available, both are 18 month contracts.
Senior Planning Officer (major applications) Responsibilities:
• Processing a range of major planning and associated applications including more complex cases and assisting with major projects.
• Providing professional advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing on behalf of the council in respect of planning and related issues including providing pre-application advice.
• Attending councillor site visits and evening meetings of the relevant council committees to present items as required.
• Dealing with enforcement matters related to major applications and carrying out associated duties as and when required.
• Preparing and presenting evidence for the councils in respect of appeals against planning decisions, including written representations appeals, hearings and public inquiry work as and when required.
• Checking reports and delegating a range of planning and related applications.
• Undertaking specific projects within the Planning Service (such as participating in continuous improvement / cohort project workstreams).
• Working with the policy team to input into policy development for the districts.
• Mentoring junior staff and any other duties as appropriate to the grade.
Senior Planning Officer (major applications) Requirements:
• A degree in a planning related discipline, or relevant qualification or equivalent level of experience.
• At least 3 years post qualification planning experience and experience of working in a local authority planning service.
• Hold a full and current driving licence and access to a vehicle insured for business use.
• Be eligible for RTPI membership.
• Strong IT skills including experience with Windows 10, MS Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
• Experience of dealing with major planning applications.
• Experience of report and professional letter writing.
• Be able to demonstrate a diplomatic approach in difficult situations and be able to give clear, accurate and helpful advice on procedures.
• Very good oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to interpret scaled drawings and Ordnance Survey maps.
• The ability to take individual responsibility for caseload, to set own daily targets and work to defined standards and performance targets.
If you have the following experience or qualifications, it’s a bonus:
• Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute.
• Significant experience of working in a customer focussed environment and dealing with challenging customers.
About the councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: 135 Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Salary: £42,386 to £47,219
Duration of role: 18 months temporary contract
Hours per week: Full time - 37 hours per week
Closing Date: Sunday 18th June
Interviews: w/c 5th July
Under Government guidelines, many of our employees are being asked to undertake their roles from home. This will be discussed in more detail during this roles interview process where required.
The benefits we offer:
• 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year.
• Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April.
• Flexible working – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!
• A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
• No car park costs as there’s free parking available
• The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work!
• A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
• Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, workplace exercise classes, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users and more)
• We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
You may have experience of the following: Town Planner, Local Authority, RTPI, Project Management, Planning Officer, Planner, Planning Policy, Planning Legislation, Royal Town Planning Institute, Local Government, etc.