We are at an exciting time in the preparation of the Local Plan for the borough with work starting this year of the creation of a new plan for Newcastle-under-Lyme. A lot of work has already been completed as part of joint working with our neighbour, Stoke on Trent City Council but we are now pressing ahead to meet the Government’s target of December 2023 for adoption.
This date is a tough target and the successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a focused team taking the plan through the consultation stages and on to Examination. You will be a key part of the team working closely with the Policy Manager and supporting other officers in the preparation of the plan.
In addition to delivering the Local Plan, the Council is committed to working with our Parish Councils and local groups to deliver a programme of Neighbourhood Plans. We are also working closely with infrastructure providers including the private sector to help deliver the facilities our communities need.
Main Job Aspects
This role is an important part of the Policy team. Key tasks include:
- The monitoring and recording of planning data especially relating to decision notices and the consultation portal
- Keeping records up to date and ensuring integrity across all data sets including database and GIS systems
- Co-ordination and running of public consultation events in conjunction with other Officers
- Recording of consultation feedback and the production of reports on the responses received
- Undertaking publicity events for a variety of planning consultation events including Neighbourhood Planning
- Production of reports and data for a range of stakeholders.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive and organised approach to plan development and experience of working with a range of stakeholders to achieve defined outcome
- Strong technical skills and effective collaborative working that promotes openness within the team
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and positively with a range of stakeholders.
About the Council
The Borough is proud of its heritage. Newcastle-under-Lyme and Kidsgrove are the main urban centres and important Staffordshire market towns which are complemented by a rich and diverse rural landscape part of which is in the Green Belt.
Newcastle-under-Lyme is located in a strategic location in the UK. We are centrally located between the West Midlands and the North West with the M6 running through the Borough along with the West Coast Main Line and in the next few years, HS2.
We are in a very attractive and affordable part of the West Midlands with the Peak District and the Shropshire Hills on our doorstep and equidistant from Manchester in the North and Birmingham in the South.
Whist the post will be based at our main office Castle House which is in walking distance of our main town centre, there will also be opportunities for home working.
- 23 Days annual leave, rising to 28 after 5 years, plus bank holidays and time off between Christmas and New Year
- Flexible working hours
- Home working
- A generous pension scheme
For an informal conversation contact either Jemma March (Planning Policy Manager) 01782 742477 or Shawn Fleet (Head of Planning) 01782 717717.