We are at an exciting time in the preparation of the Local Plan for the borough with work starting this year of the creation of a new plan for Newcastle-under-Lyme. A lot of work has already been completed as part of joint working with our neighbour, Stoke-on-Trent City Council but we are now pressing ahead to meet the Government’s target of December 2023 for adoption.
This date is a tough target and the successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a focused team taking the plan through the consultation stages and on to Examination. You will be a key part of the team working closely with the Policy Manager and supporting other officers in the research and drafting of policies and site allocations.
In addition to delivering the Local Plan, the Council is committed to working with our Parish Councils and local groups to deliver a programme of Neighbourhood Plans. We are also working closely with infrastructure providers including the private sector to help deliver the facilities our communities need.
The borough has been highly successful winning Town Deal Funding for both of its main centres which will catalyse new development opportunities. The postholder will be expected to play an important role in helping to shape these towns and deliver the projects needed.
The post offers the successful candidate a fantastic opportunity to be involved in a full range of town and country planning matters as well as taking on a role in leading the team not just to the adoption of the plan but the Neighbourhood Plans, SPDs and other guidance.
Main Job Aspects
This role is an important part of the Policy team. Key tasks include:
- Supporting the Planning Policy Manager on all aspects of plan preparation
- Be the lead officer on a number of key policy areas central to the creation of the plan in agreement with the Planning Policy Manager
- Responsible for the setting of briefs for the appointment of external consultants and the monitoring of the work produced
- To work with the Planning Policy Manager in the creation of programme management tools to support the timely delivery of the development plan
- Advising and providing support and mentoring to other members of the team
- Defend the Council at examination for a range of development plan documents notably the Local Plan.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- A proactive and organised approach to plan development and experience of working with a range of stakeholders to achieve defined outcome
- Strategic planning to create and contribute to the long-term vision for the service area and organisation as a whole
- Education to degree standard and RTPI qualified
- Strong technical skills and effective collaborative working that promotes openness within the team
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and positively with a range of stakeholders.
About the Council
The borough is proud of its heritage. Newcastle-under-Lyme and Kidsgrove are the main urban centres and important Staffordshire market towns which are complemented by a rich and diverse rural landscape part of which is in the Green Belt.
Newcastle-under-Lyme is located in a strategic location in the UK. We are centrally located between the West Midlands and the North West with the M6 running through the borough along with the West Coast Main Line and, in the next few years HS2.
We are in a very attractive and affordable part of the West Midlands with the Peak District and the Shropshire Hills on our doorstep and equidistant from Manchester in the North and Birmingham in the South. In addition, the post offers opportunities for home working for part of the week.
Whist the post will be based at our main office Castle House which is in walking distance of our main town centre, there will also be opportunities for home working.
- 27 Days annual leave, rising to 32 after 5 years, plus bank holidays and time off between Christmas and New Year
- Flexible working hours
- Home working
- A generous pension scheme
For an informal conversation contact either Jemma March (Planning Policy Manager) 01782 742477 or Shawn Fleet (Head of Planning) 01782 717717.