To contribute to the work of the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation in fulfilling its statutory role as Local Planning Authority (Development Management). The Senior Planning Officer would manage a varied case load, including major planning applications, associated with the delivery of strategic development sites.
The post is a 2 year fixed term role required to support the ongoing delivery of the Garden City at an exciting time when workload within the EDC Planning Team is substantially increasing due to the number of ongoing and new planning proposals coming forward.
The successful candidate would be contributing directly to planning decisions affecting the Garden City and its residents, helping to shape the future of Ebbsfleet. Working at the Development Corporation provides a great opportunity for anyone who is keen to learn and develop as a planning professional working with a range of landowners and developers. The EDC Planning Team work closely with a range of partners throughout the lifetime of a development to support the delivery of high quality schemes. The role would suit someone who has a good understanding of the planning process including experience of working on major planning applications.
The post-holder will report to a Senior Planning Manager within the Planning Directorate.
Main Accountabilities and Responsibilities
You will be required to:-
- Effectively and efficiently deal with a range of development proposals, including a range of major planning applications, providing pre-application advice and dealing with any post decision/delivery matters;
- Lead engagement with relevant developers, statutory consultees and stakeholders to negotiate effectively on behalf of the EDC to ensure the delivery of high quality development;
- Evaluate and make sound recommendations on the planning merits of development proposals by producing robust delegated and committee reports and presenting applications at planning committee where required;
- Determine planning applications in accordance with statutory timescales or a planning performance agreement;
- Provide support with site monitoring and compliance matters;
- Carry out planning enforcement work as required including writing reports and working alongside legal advisors to draft notices;
- Present and prepare evidence for planning and enforcement appeals as necessary, including writing reports and giving oral evidence at hearings/inquiries;
- Support the Chief Planning Officer/Senior Planning Manager on any engagement with the plan-making authorities associated with the production and consultation of development plan documents;
- Provide advice and information on planning issues to residents, businesses and stakeholders;
- Ensure effective liaison with other functions within the Ebbsfleet Development Corporation, local councils and external agencies as appropriate;
- Attend public meetings, site visits, inspections and exhibitions which may take place at evenings and weekends;
- Support the continuous improvement in the delivery of services provided by the Corporation’s Planning Service.
- Take reasonable care of own safety and to co-operate with managers/supervisors in complying with statutory health & safety duties; and
- Such other non-recurring duties appropriate to the post as may be directed.
The essential and desirable criteria for this role are as follows:
- A minimum of 3 years Town Planning experience, including Chartered Membership of the RTPI or equivalent (or the ability to apply for membership);
- Excellent written and oral communication skills suitable to present technical issues to Planning Committee members, Board Members, the public and representatives from a range of different professional backgrounds;
- Experience of managing planning applications and related legal agreements;
- Decisive, effective and creative evidence-based decision-making with a focus on outcomes;
- Sound project planning skills;
- Good working knowledge and experience in the use and development of I.T. software, systems and organisation;
- Knowledge and experience of local planning authority and / or private sector processes and procedures;
- Experience of working with developers/landowners to advance opportunities through advice, recommendations and negotiation; and
- Excellent customer service skills with experience of dealing with customers and a wide range of stakeholders.
- Additional specialist related professional qualification; and
- Knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessment processes and procedures.
- Based in Ebbsfleet, North Kent
- Working week of 37 hours, between Monday to Friday with occasional evening or weekend work