Head of Development Management
Location: Harrow Council
Directorate: Community Services
Contract Type: Fixed Term - Maternity Cover (minimum 12 months)
Working Hours: 36 hours
Closing Date: 11/04/2021
Interview Dates: TBC
Salary Range: £59,622 to £66,939
There has never been a better or more exciting time to join Harrow Council where our vision is one of 'Working together to make a difference for Harrow'. Part of the Council’s strategy to deliver this vision is to Build a Better Harrow with our ongoing £1.75bn regeneration ambition for housing, jobs and unprecedented growth which will create the places and opportunities that all our residents deserve - a thriving, modern, inclusive, vibrant and progressive borough.
This is a key leading role in the Planning Services Division in Harrow. We are looking to appoint an enthusiastic, committed person with great leadership skills to lead on supporting the Council’s priorities and the transformation of the service with a focus on continuous improvement. The position is a Fixed Term contract for a minimum of 12 months (maternity cover). The post holder will report to the Chief Planning Officer and work closely with colleagues within the Planning Service as well as across the Council and external stakeholders. You will be required to have experience of managing budgets, successful change management and partnership working, as well as a thorough knowledge of the statutory functions of a local authority.
If you take pride in your work, want to make a positive difference and would enjoy leading our Planning Development Management Team then we can’t wait to hear from you. In return, we offer great support and training to get you settled into your role, fantastic benefits and we encourage flexible and smart working, with brand new IT facilities to be rolled out in the very near future.
Harrow Council is the 12th largest London Borough and one of the most culturally diverse local authorities in the UK, making it a great place to live, work and visit. Located 10 miles from the city centre and just 13 minutes to Euston from Harrow & Wealdstone station there are great transport links via the Metropolitan Line, Watford DC Line and national rail service. It is easily accessible to the M1, M25 and A406.
The successful applicant will have:
- Degree level education or equivalent and is eligible for RTPI membership
- Knowledge and comprehensive understanding of service delivery, service development, Government Policy, Legislative frameworks and key issues, including equalities issues, relevant to Town Planning
- Working knowledge of relevant Health, Safety & Welfare Legislation and approved Code of Practices
- Working knowledge of relevant Employment Legislation and Approved Codes of Practice, and Best Practice in staff management
- Working Knowledge of Performance and Quality management processes.
- Working knowledge of relevant Planning and Building Regulations related Enforcement Legislation and Approved Codes of Practice; and current and developing Government Policy
- Demonstrable skills and/or experience of managing professional teams
- Demonstrable comprehensive skills and experience of establishing effective performance measures and a performance culture that has achieved corporate development and service objectives in a comparable organisation.
- Demonstrable comprehensive skills and experience of providing and developing services in partnership with other organisations
- Evidence of effective continuing professional development relevant to the post.
- Ability to undertake site visits throughout the borough and beyond the borough boundary to attend meetings nationally, plus be able to attend meetings out of normal office hours (including weekends) with appropriate notice.
For more information, please refer to the role profile/selection criteria.
Our staff are our greatest asset and therefore no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied which could have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of age, disability, gender, reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership and pregnancy or maternity unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification applies.
Harrow is committed to making our recruitment practises barrier-free and as accessible as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the recruitment process, or provide any information in an alternative format please contact us
HARROW REDEPLOYEES WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY CONSIDERATION
We particularly welcome female applicants, individuals under 25 years of age, those from the BAME community, LGBTQ+ applicants and disabled applicants, as they are under-represented within Harrow Council at this level. Appointment will always, however be made on merit.