How you'll make a difference
We are determined that South Gloucestershire will be a great place to live and work and our Strategic Planning and Housing Division brings together planning policy, development management, housing enabling and economic development professionals together to deliver sustainable development in line with the Councils adopted Core Strategy.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Planning Officer to work in our Strategic Planning Service on a permanent, full time basis. This post is within the Strategic Major Sites team and provides an opportunity to deal with some of the most important and complex planning applications and queries for major and high-profile development in South Gloucestershire and the South West. We are currently working on urban extensions at Yate, the North Fringe and at Cribbs Causeway including the new Bristol Arena project.
What will you be doing?
The Major Sites team is a large and diverse multi-disciplinary team that deals with planning applications, planning appeals and pre-application enquiries related to strategic site allocations and major development proposals. This position plays an important role in enabling the Strategic Major Sites Team to examine, process and evaluate planning and related applications.
- You will undertake site inspections, negotiations and preparation of reports and presentation to the Council’s Strategic Sites Delivery Committee in order to implement the Council’s land use and transport policies through predominantly large scale major and strategic applications.
- Lead negotiations with developers, their agents and third parties for applications and Section 106 contributions, in connection with strategic, major and all related applications to reduce the adverse impact of proposals to achieve more acceptable outcomes
- You will be responsible for the planning and managing of their caseload with the minimum of supervision.
- Attend internal and external meetings, providing advice to colleagues and outside bodies, such as Parish/Town Councils, and the public and co-ordinate and implement Planning Performance Agreements with Developers.
- Prepare written appeal statements, present evidence at hearings and court proceedings, represent the Council as expert witness public inquiries.
- Liaise with work activities in other sections of the Council in connection with Strategic Major Sites delivery, for example Planning Policy Officers for Development Plan Policy development and Development Management planning officers
- Provide general assistance and cover for absent colleagues to ensure the efficient operation of the planning service. To assist in the formulation of planning policies and related documents.
What we need from you
- You must be educated to degree level or equivalent in Town Planning or a related subject.
- Have full membership of Royal Town Planning Institute or working towards membership
- Demonstrate considerable relevant experience in planning practice.
- Have a clear understanding of planning policy and legislation
- Possess a current driving licence
- You will be an articulate, creative and innovative planner with excellent communication and problem solving skills to help to drive major projects forward.
How a career at South Gloucestershire Council is different
- We value our staff as individuals, investing in their careers and we are recognised for the quality, breadth and depth of our training and development offer, which helps make the greatest long-term difference in work.
- We trust our team to work in the way which allows them to make the biggest difference and we continue to invest in technology to help staff do their jobs to the best of their ability and celebrate innovation.
Our teams at South Gloucestershire Council are making a real difference to the lives of people who live, work and learn here.
- We're building and shaping communities which people are proud of
- We're planning for the future; building and improving the roads, railways, schools, green spaces, and houses.
- We’re providing essential services across our communities to ensure they are safe and well maintained.
We recognise that our diverse team of skilled and dedicated people make us a great place to work. We welcome applications from everyone and ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and developed on the basis of their merits and abilities
We've achieved a great deal, but we need talented and dedicated people to ensure we continue to make a difference.
We’re making a difference, be part of it!
For further information after reading the job summary, please contact: Sean Herbert, Strategic Major Sites Team Manager, email@example.com or Tel 01454 863056