We are seeking to appoint to two roles within a fast-paced Development Management Team which is providing a best nationally level of performance. At all levels, you will need to be able to demonstrate a keen interest in town planning, outstanding organisation, be solutions led and have excellent customer service skills.
Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD).
Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity. We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional planning super service. These roles sit within Development Management and you will work closely with Principal Development Management Officers, the Deputy Chief Planning Director, colleagues in Transport, Infrastructure & Policy Planning, Design, Members and LBBD’s Head of Planning Assurance.
Key responsibilities for all roles will be (but are not limited to):
- Lead on a range of work related to smaller planning applications, planning appeals, Tree preservation work and answering general planning and policy queries.
- Preparation of written and oral reports and briefings, including some evening work.
- Make high quality planning assessments having regard to relevant planning policy.
- - Manage a complex workload alongside the timely progression of your caseload.
- Liaise with the public, developers and a wide range of public and private bodies, providing technical and procedural advice that problem-solves and ‘adds value’.
KEY SKILLS and OUTCOMES
Ideally, for all roles we are looking for an individual who:
- Contributes to a results-orientated, customer-focused working culture that embraces a ‘right first time’ approach.
- Loves the built environment and recognises that good planning is not driven solely, or even primarily, by the words on a page.
- Is a motivated, self-starter with a willingness to learn.
- Has a keen attention to detail whilst being flexible and solutions driven.
- Is a team player who works effectively with others.
- Has good IT skills.
Year-Out Development Management Officer
- You will be working towards the completion of your 2nd year of academic study at undergraduate level in planning or a relatable academic subject seeking a year in industry prior to the completion of your 3rd academic year.
Graduate Development Management Officer
- You will be working towards the completion of your 3rd year of academic study at undergraduate level in planning or a relatable academic subject seeking your first planning role.
Development Management Officer (Planner)
- You will have completed or be working towards the completion of a post graduate degree in planning (MRTPI accredited) and have a minimum of 6-12 months experience of working within in a fast-paced planning team. Experience of working within London desirable.
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
Competitive salary ranges as below plus company benefits including 30 days annual leave, pension and eligibility for performance related bonus:
- Year-Out positions: Salary £24,000
- Graduate positions: £26,000 - £30,000
- Planner positions: £31,000 - £40,000
Right now, we are working from home and are committed to provide remote and flexible working arrangements on an ongoing basis.
Our office is at Maritime House, Barking.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply, please submit by 3 March 2021 a CV supported by a covering letter of no more than 3 sides of A4 outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role. Please do this by clicking on the Apply button below.