We are seeking to a forward thinking, strategic spatial lead for our Planning Policy Team, leading on spatial policy, putting in place planning policy tools that shape and deliver the Borough’s development and regeneration objectives. You will recognise the importance of policy in supporting and encouraging good development. Policy experience a must, in either a private or public setting.
Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional planning super service. This role sits within Infrastructure, Transport & Planning Policy. You will deliver the full range of planning policy work on behalf of LBBD, with a heavy forward-looking and strategic focus.
This is a senior level position offering career progression. Candidates should have experience working and in a planning policy role in a local authority or consultancy setting and have obtained or near to RTPI membership
Key responsibilities will be (but are not limited to):
- Leading on spatial policy, putting in place planning policy tools that shape and deliver the Borough’s development and regeneration objectives.
- Taking the new Local Plan through to adoption, as well as mechanisms like Article 4 Directions, Local Development Orders, masterplan SPDs (etc).
- Oversight of S106/CIL collection processes and statutory monitoring eg Housing Delivery, Authority Monitoring and Brownfield register.
- Managing a complex workload alongside supervision of work to junior employees and support to senior colleagues.
- Preparation and potentially giving of evidence to Examinations in Public and at planning appeals.
- Providing policy advice, including representations to regional and central policy / legislation.
KEY SKILLS and OUTCOMES
Ideally, we are looking for an individual who is / can
- Contribute to a results-orientated working culture that embraces a ‘right first time’ approach.
- Build strong relations with colleagues, Members, internal and external stakeholders and the public.
- Promote Be First with professional, with excellent communication skills.
- Proactive self-starter who takes the initiative and can prioritise.
- Demonstrate a passion for championing established and innovative policy levers to support the Borough’s ambitious objectives.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and the impact this has on shaping future outcomes.
- IT literate and can contribute to implementing best practice GIS and data systems.
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
Competitive salary range of £44,000 - £55,000 plus company benefits including 30 days annual leave, pension and eligibility for performance related bonus.
Right now, we are working from home and are committed to provide remote and flexible working arrangements on an ongoing basis.
Our office is at Maritime House, Barking.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply, please submit by 5 March 2021 a CV supported by a covering letter of no more than 3 sides of A4 outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role. Please do this by clicking on the Apply button below.