We are seeking a Director to head up the Planning Consultancy Team. The bulk of the team’s work currently focuses on LBBD’s portfolio and around masterplans. You will oversee and support this, and work with the Chief Planning Director to grow the service to take on more third party work. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, results orientated individual looking for a setting that straddles the public and private planning sectors. Private sector experience a must.
Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by, but operating independently of, the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, and provide planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services.
The Planning & Building Control Team has undergone significant transformational change, with the intention of delivering a commercially astute, pragmatic and professional planning super service. This role reports directly into the Chief Planning Director and heads up the Planning Consultancy mini-team.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: DUTIES
Key responsibilities will be (but are not limited to):
- Managing a growing team of capable individuals, all with private planning sector experience.
- Ensuring the team delivers profitably on Be First Business Plan objectives, providing consultancy advice on LBBD’s site portfolios and to 3rd party developers, developing planning strategies, managing planning applications and overseeing masterplans and development briefs.
- Undertaking imaginative and innovative business development.
- Building excellent relationships with other Be First and LBBD teams, and other key stakeholders, internal and external.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: ATTRIBUTES
Ideally, we are looking for an individual who is / has:
- Results-orientated and devises strategies that are simple and effective.
- The ability to cut through the noise and get to the nub of an issue, to ensure problems are resolved, competing objectives balanced, and projects delivered efficiently.
- Confident and professional, with excellent communication skills.
- Proactive self-starter who takes the initiative and can prioritise.
- Excited about the opportunity to grow the planning consultancy service.
- Demonstrable experience working within the private planning sector at a senior level.
- Technical planning knowledge, combined with a strategic, ‘bigger picture’ approach.
- IT literate.
FURTHER JOB DETAILS
Competitive salary of between £78,000 - £85,000 plus company benefits including pension and eligibility for performance related bonus.
Right now, we are working from home and are committed to provide remote and flexible working arrangements on an ongoing basis.
Our office is at Maritime House, Barking.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to apply, please submit by 12 March 2021 a CV supported by a covering letter of no more than 3 sides of A4 outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role. Please do this by clicking on the Apply button below.