Your new role
We are seeking a Spatial Planner to join our dedicated Planning team in Bristol. This role is offered as a job share working 15 hours per week over 2 days, one of which will ideally be a Friday – we are flexible on the other day!
You will play an active and responsive role in the planning system by taking a proactive approach, helping to ensure that new developments are well located and planned for, and the travel demands they create are also managed and sustainable for the strategic road network. You will work with Local Planning Authorities to understand and address the transport impact of growth aspirations and with prospective developers to identify what works are necessary on the network to mitigate the transport impact created.
If you’re looking for a varied and interesting role where you will contribute to several exciting planning projects and strategic applications across the South West region, then please apply now!
What you’ll be leading on
• To cooperate with Local Planning Authorities and relevant stakeholders in the development of highways and transport strategies to support local plans and strategic growth plans.
• To discharge our statutory responsibilities as strategic highway authority within the planning process, including the commissioning of specialist consultant support where necessary.
• To apply specialist knowledge to evaluate the potential impact and implications of development proposals and growth plans on the Strategic Road Network (SRN) to enable a measured, robust and informed response to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the SRN is maintained.
• To manage ongoing liaison with key external stakeholders, through attendance at local planning meetings and other planning or discussion forums, providing evidence-based and transparent guidance and advice on future local plans, as well as sharing information of Highways England’s emerging strategies and future development works for the region.
• To prepare, write and present reports, often of a complex nature, which make recommendations or explain detailed regulations related to planning and Highways development management.
To be successful
• Demonstrable experience and understanding of the planning process and associated legislation including development management
• Proven practical understanding of the complex requirements of infrastructure development programmes and the prioritisation of needs in order to develop, manage and maintain a safe and efficient world-class asset
• Experience of working with local planning and highway authorities, local enterprise partnerships within a political landscape supported by evidence of working successfully with a wide range of officials within such external stakeholder organisations
• Excellent stakeholder management, both internally and externally
• Qualified Town Planner, Transport Planner or experienced practitioner is desirable
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number HIG04173.
If you would like to discuss the role in more detail please contact email@example.com.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.