Medway Council is looking for experienced and enthusiastic individuals to join an expanding Planning team following success in securing a £170m bid from the Housing Infrastructure Fund (HIF). The HIF will help deliver new roads, a railway station and country parks on the Hoo peninsula to support the expansion of some villages and the provision of sustainable communities. Development will also include new community facilities, a healthy living centre, a sports centre, playing fields, new schools, retail, new businesses and new homes all to serve the growing need in the area.
The successful candidates will be joining Medway at an exciting time as we work towards producing a new Local Plan and bringing forward our transformation agenda including revitalising our superb river frontage and town centres, building on our fantastic historical assets and maximising opportunities working with the universities located within the area
We are looking for two people to take up vacancies that have come about through retirement. Applicants should:
- Possess good technical knowledge of development management.
- Have demonstrable experience working on a wide range of planning applications.
- Have experience of working on major development proposals co-ordinating a development team or being part of a Corporate multi-function team (desirable).
- Have experience of presenting at committee.
- Be highly motivated with ambition and drive.
- Be able to positively influence outcomes by working effectively with developer and applicants.
- Be able to handle pressure and competing interests.
- Be able to assess and clear details submitted in relation to planning conditions.
- Be able to represent the Council for all types of appeal.
- Be able to investigate breaches of planning control and to progress the appropriate action as required.
- Have a valid UK driving licence
In return we offer you:
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Generous local government pension scheme package
- Access to wider training and development qualifications
- Flexible working scheme
- Travel plan discounts
- Access to CAREFIRST advice & counselling service
- Employee discount scheme for national and local retailers
- The Government has introduced new ways of supporting parents with childcare costs. Further details are available here: - https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Medway Council is a unitary authority located in Kent, in the south east of England. The area comprises five town centers alongside significant swathes of rural land, particularly the Hoo Peninsula. Medway is well placed with easy access to the national motorway and rail networks, facilitating excellent transport links to London and continental Europe.
We provide local Government services for a quarter of a million people, looking after education, environment, social care, housing, planning, business and much more - everything from frontline services to events such as the Dickens Festival attracting international visitors.
Working at Medway Council will allow the successful candidates to work alongside talented and professional colleagues helping drive forward transformation to improve the lives of our residents and the communities they live in.
Please note that in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines, in regards to social distancing, all interviews are likely to be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, if your application is successfully shortlisted.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate all essential requirements as listed in the job profile
Equal Opportunities Commitment Statement
Medway Council is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All appropriately qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age
For further information please refer to the Medway information pack available as a download or to view online
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 3 weeks of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted. All recruitment correspondence, including interview letters and contracts of employment will usually be sent out via email.
Please visit http://www.mindfulemployer.net/ for information on how Medway Council put good practices in place to ensure employees and job applicants who declare mental health issues receive the right level of support.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy at any time prior to the closing date.