My Client (Local Authority) are looking for a qualified Tree Officer to cover a temporary vacancy in the Tree Team of the Planning Service. We are looking at a possible 3 months contract starting on 1 December but excluding the period 24th December 2020 to 3rd January 2021.
This will be 4 days remote and 1 day in the office. The IR35 status is to be confirmed.
To fulfil the Local Authorities statutory requirements and policies on tree preservation, tree safety, woodland and hedgerows and provide a high standard of arboricultural service to the Authority.
To provide technical and information support to professional staff within the Authority. The post holder will help to ensure the Authority’s spatial planning and conservation policies and expertise are based on sound data and that the tree service is at the forefront of best policy practice.
To manage the day to day aspects of the Authority’s obligations with regard to hedgerow regulations, including the practical application of those regulations.
To investigate and examine dangerous trees and advise upon or implement any necessary action to protect the highway or property.
To give arboricultural advice to staff, members, local councils, local interest groups and the general public to promote practical understanding of trees and tree preservation.
To deal with enquiries from the general public, professional bodies, tree specialists and others, advising on the subjects of tree management, statutory protection of trees and hedge row regulations.
To support data collection and database maintenance in accordance with the Authority’s trees, woodlands and other conservation activities.
To maintain files, photographs, technical papers and other sources of information in support of the Authority’s trees, woodlands and other conservation activities.
To prepare, develop and maintain map-based information systems (including GIS) in support of the Authority’s planning and conservation activities.
Successful candidates will have:
- Relevant practical experience with demonstrable experience of dealing with Local Authority tree work applications, Tree Preservation Orders and advice to Development Control
- Knowledge of the relevant part of Town & Country Planning Act 1990 relating to protected trees
- Experience of dealing sensitively with local communities and land owners. The post holder is required to handle emotionally charged meetings on occasion
- Valid driving license
- Demonstrate previous experience of working as an effective team member in a similar role with a local authority
- Good IT skills, including experience in using GIS
- The job requires extensive field work and demands rapid response to urgent situations
- Working under pressure and to tight deadlines Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Good organisational skills with experience of managing own workload to meet deadlines
- Demonstrates good customer service skills to interact effectively and professionally with external and internal customers
- Ability to understand the need to treat all information confidentially