Development Management is a service area within Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city and manages development from inception to delivery.
As a high performing planning department, we deal with a wide range of applications. We are a dynamic and forward-thinking team with a can-do approach and are always striving to improve our service. We recognise the importance of developing a strong, robust and resilient team through learning and development.
The service area sits within a larger team alongside Planning Policy and Environment which encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.
What is the job role?
We are looking for a dedicated, dynamic, enthusiastic, hard-working and passionate Development Manager, to lead and further develop our Development Management service as Head of Development Management.
You will be responsible for the day to day management of Development Management, providing strong professional leadership to the team in such a way as to provide quality customer focused services that contribute to the achievement of the City Council’s vision and objectives for a growing and sustainable city.
In your role you will motivate, train, develop and performance manage staff to maintain an effective workforce capable of meeting its objectives. You will also provide considered professional advice on technical service related matters to senior officers and Elected Members as required.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the efficient, effective and timely consideration of all applications and all related matters as required by legislation and in accordance with the Council’s policies, practices and procedures to meet national and local targets.
- Ensure the efficient, effective and timely consideration of enforcement activities (formal warnings, cautions, prosecutions, civil penalties) as required by legislation and in accordance with the Council’s policies, practices and procedures to meet national and local targets.
- To lead the officer input to relevant committee and member meetings such as Planning Committee, Cabinet Member meetings, Advisory Panels and Scrutiny Boards and provide technical support to the Chair of Committee, Cabinet Member and Senior Officers.
- Ensure the Council’s decisions on development, regulatory, planning policy and related matters are robustly defended where challenged at appeal through hearings, public inquiries, tribunals and court.
For additional information, please refer to the job description & person specification attached.
An opportunity to get involved and lead a forward-thinking Development Management service does not come along very often and we look forward to hearing from you. Should you wish to discuss the role further, please email email@example.com.
Who are we looking for?
To be appointed Head of Development Management you will be educated to degree level or professional qualification in Planning. You will also be a member of relevant professional body such as RTPI.
We are looking for someone who is talented, politically astute, enthusiastic, motivated, experienced and knowledgeable, an individual who demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of development management, enforcement and planning policy. Moreover, you will need to be resilient in a pressurised environment and will need to be exceptionally skilled in the various negotiation and communication techniques (across all mediums). You will be expected to communicate with gravitas and confidence, explaining complex planning procedures and issues, albeit in a user-friendly manner whilst adapting style and information offered according to the audience.
As a successful candidate you will have:
- Extensive experience of working in a political environment
- A record of successfully managing a planning and enforcement service that delivers high performance and good customer care
- Knowledge and understanding of the local government structure and political framework
- Knowledge of the National, Regional and Sub-Regional governance structures that impact on Coventry
- Leadership skills to develop and convey a vision and goals to team members motivating them to accept change and achieve success. With the ability to persuade and influence.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement. Please include the following examples in your application:
- Delivery of major changes and improvements to a service for local people including your leadership skills and how you have used them to inspire and influence people to drive quality and value in the planning process.
- Your understanding of economic value as part of the planning process.
- Your experience of presenting to Elected Members to achieve a positive outcome on a complex and controversial issue.
Please note we do not accept uploaded CV's. Please ensure you demonstrate your experience and skills on the personal statement section of the application form.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): week commencing 30/11/2020