Carrington West are assisting their local authority client based in Greater Manchester in their search for a Head of Planning, Environment & Infrastructure to join them on an initial 3-month contract.
As Head of Environment, Planning & Infrastructure you will:
· Develop and deliver the Local Plan as the long-term strategic policy for Manchester's future development by 2027.
· Align the long term investment plans of critical infrastructure providers, development plans (detailed in the GM Spatial Framework), and ambitions for zero carbon, sustainable transport, clean air, affordable housing, and green and blue spaces.
· The role will ensure key partners are engaged with and signed up to the Local Plan in order to drive investment to deliver the changes required to support the future vision.
· Support the Director to determine strategy and delivery plans in relation to transport, the environmental agenda, and digital agenda. This will involve a range of activities at regional, and Greater Manchester levels including working with senior officers of the Combined Authority and Transport for Greater Manchester.
· Lead on the development of a Clean Air Plan including plans to develop a Clean Air Zone across the region to improve air quality on local roads. Work alongside partners at GM level as lead representative.
· Provide briefings for Members, the Chief Executive and other key stakeholders on issues relating to infrastructure strategy and policy development.
· As a member of the Council's Strategic Highways Board take an overview of all policy and strategy issues affecting the delivery of the Council's highway service from the perspective of infrastructure planning and environmental improvement and drive forward solutions working directly with the Chief Executive.
· A member of the Directorate Management Team for Growth and Development, the role holder will work across the Growth and Development directorate and the Corporate Core including Policy, Performance and Reform to draw on intelligence to support key policy initiatives including the refresh of the Local Plan.
· Work alongside Policy officers who have the overall lead on Climate Change policy and strategy, supporting the achievement of our ambitions through the local plan, decarbonisation of transport, clean air and green and blue infrastructure.
· Direct management of Infrastructure teams providing strong leadership to deliver across a range of policies and strategies.
* Excellent knowledge of the key economic, social and environmental policy issues and challenges facing cities and the role of local government in addressing these.
* Ability to critically evaluate and influence policy and strategy initiatives developed by national, regional, sub regional and local stakeholders.
* Detailed knowledge of the functioning of local government, the legal framework within which it operates and its relationship with central government across a wide range of activities.
* Ability to forge excellent relationships with members, civil servants and officers both within the authority and across a wide range of external organisations.
Carrington West Pay Rate: Please confirm your preferred rate with your application.
Job Ref - 23299
Please call Ben Rose on 02393 876022 for a confidential discussion on this role, or email myself or our planning team if you are short of time to chat:
Carrington West's dedicated Town Planning Recruitment Team supply clients UK wide on both a permanent and contract basis and all levels of seniority. If this role is too senior, too junior or in a location that is unsuitable, but you are keen on options, please still feel free to apply and we can discuss other, often unadvertised roles with you.