We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Planning Officer to join our Policy and Delivery team.
Why Solihull? There’s plenty going on to get you out and about in our beautiful borough. As well as supporting the growth aspirations at UK Central, Birmingham Airport, Jaguar Land Rover and the National Exhibition Centre, we handle the range of work you would expect an economically prosperous Metropolitan Authority to be.
We are currently negotiating the complexities of delivering a revised Local Plan and we are also working hard to do what is needed to welcome the arrival of HS2. Ensuring we are maintaining our historic and natural landscape, and delivering the design quality, community benefits and green and blue infrastructure that only the best development in the right locations can, is all part of the job.
With such a big agenda, we are after the brightest and best talent; commercially minded and emotionally intelligent. We are looking for candidates with experience and in-depth knowledge of the preparation of planning policy documents and either a full member of the RTPI or are eligible for membership. Your understanding of technical detail is important, but equally so is your ability to tell and sell our planning story. You’re going to need to be engaging, confident and dynamic with a can-do approach to your area of interest or expertise to help us rise to the challenge.
And for those appointed to band E, there will be the opportunity to progress to band F, subject to demonstrating the relevant criteria (see person specification for further details).
In return we can offer:
- A friendly, supportive and inclusive working environment.
- Flexible working including home working.
- Annual leave starting at 24 days and rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service with 8 public holidays and the opportunity to purchase up to 10 additional days holiday per year.
- A generous flexitime scheme (available for most roles) with up to 24 days’ flexitime allowed per year.
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
- A wide range of learning and development opportunities.
- A range of family and carer friendly policies.
- Employee benefits including subsidised travel passes, Cycle 2 Work Scheme, confidential Employee Assistance Programme and staff discounts.
Interviews to be held w/c 14 September 2020.
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and is committed to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk, and requires all staff and volunteers to sha