Town Planning Manager (Major Consents)
Overview of Role
Transport for London (TfL) plays a vital role in shaping London’s future; delivering a world class transport system to people working, living or visiting the capital. We have two exciting opportunities to join our high performing town planning Consents team, facilitating essential infrastructure to support London’s growth in homes and jobs, and delivering on the Mayor’s Transport Strategy and London Plan aspirations.
As the leader of TfL’s Major Consents team, you will bring significant experience of Transport & Works Act Orders, Development Consent Orders and/or planning applications for major infrastructure, acting as the senior voice on these consents for TfL. You will also be an excellent people manager, developing the team and supporting individuals to maximise their potential. Representing the team at a senior level both internally and with external stakeholders, you will have good political awareness and be able to operate strategically to deliver TfL’s objectives. The role includes the management of TfL’s centre of excellence for Environmental Impact Assessment. Therefore, you will have a good understanding of EIA processes and the role of EIA in delivering major projects.
- Responsible for leading a team providing advice, managing and delivering major town planning, heritage and environmental consents and supporting documentation across TfL.
- Lead on the provision of technical expertise on the consents and environmental impact assessment for TfL projects to deliver the consents submissions including a compliant Environmental Statement to programme.
- Advise on the most appropriate consents routes for major projects and all other supplementary consents that maybe required by the project, outside of the main enabling power in order to ensure all necessary submissions are made for other consents.
- Lead and manage the appointed Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) resource and oversee them within budgets and programme to deliver a compliant Environmental Statement.
- Co-ordinate liaison with all relevant stakeholders to ensure consent risk is minimised, including Planning Authorities, DfT, Network Rail, Natural England, Environment Agency, Historic England, and TfL internal stakeholders.
- Lead on the identification of suitable environmental mitigation measures and negotiate the incorporation of such measures with internal and external stakeholders to minimise future objections to the scheme.
- Lead on the consents and environmental input to optioneering, ensuring compliance with established appraisal methodologies for TfL projects.
- Act as a key witness in representing TfL at hearings and public inquiries.
- Preparation of key guidance and responding to external organisations in developing consents and environmental policy and guidance.
- Lead and motivate teams, including matrix teams with excellent communication, negotiation and consultation skills
- Ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure consents considerations are robustly embedded into the scheme development and robustly reported in the submission documentation.
- Understand the need for change and implement a plan to successfully manage change initiatives in a complex organisation
- Strong presentational skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment
- European, National, Regional and London policy developments and trends- Expert
- Assessment and appraisal techniques and their application- Expert
- Relevant degree level qualification or equivalent (essential)
- Chartered status in a recognised relevant professional institute (e.g. RTPI) and extensive relevant professional experience (essential)
- Excellent understanding of relevant legislation
- Excellent understanding of relevant consenting processes (e.g. TWAO, DCO, TCPA, Hybrid Bill)
- Proven experience of Consents and EIA management on major infrastructure scheme(s). Including TWA Orders, Hybrid Bills or Development Consent Orders.
- High level stakeholder engagement with significant experience of managing consultancy budgets
- Experience of giving evidence at committee meetings, Public inquiries or hearings and comfortable of managing multiple teams.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: Sunday 3 November 2019 @ 23:59
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.