Principal Town Planner
Overview of Role
Transport for London (TfL) plays a vital role in shaping London’s future; delivering a world class transport system to people working, living or visiting the capital. We have two exciting opportunities to join our high performing town planning Consents team, facilitating essential infrastructure to support London’s growth in homes and jobs, and delivering on the Mayor’s Transport Strategy and London Plan aspirations.
We are looking for an experienced town planning Consents Manager to lead on securing complex town planning and environmental consents to deliver our major projects, such as the Bakerloo Line Extension (London Underground) and Silvertown Tunnel.
As an experienced town planner, you will be involved in a range of varied and exciting projects in London; working closely with project managers, engineers, property professionals, TfL’s parliamentary agents and leading negotiations with key stakeholders. We are looking for someone with experience of Transport & Works Act Orders, Development Consent Orders and/ or planning applications for major infrastructure. Ideally you will have a good knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessment processes, but this is not essential. The role also requires you to support the Major Consents team manager to develop the town planning consents function in TfL, contributing to best practice and a continuously improving service.
- Guide and negotiate with project/programme teams to ensure a consistent approach in obtaining necessary consents and supporting information in relation to sustainability matters in line with published requirements, rules and guidelines.
- Provide professional advice and develop strategies relating to obtaining town planning and environmental consents for identified TfL schemes.
- Advise and assist projects in developing briefs and manage specialist consultancy appointments relating to consents/powers.
- Work in project teams and the operating businesses to lead, advise and support the securing of the necessary town planning and other consents required to deliver TfL objectives.
- Undertake the necessary consultation required to support statutory consents processes.
- Carry out town planning context appraisals.
- Work with all relevant internal and external stakeholders to agree scope of consents applications including negotiating the conditions, planning and submission of consents including presenting to planning committees and Borough members.
- Manage liaison with TfL parliamentary agents as appropriate to ensure corporate best practice and consistency.
- Assist the Consents and Environment Manager to manage environmental assessment/appraisal activities, as necessary, to support consents & approvals, ensuring that TfL complies with environmental legislation.
- Manage specialist consultancy appointments as necessary in support of the consents process.
- High standard of written and verbal communication and able to produce good quality reports, presentations and other material, conveying complex issues.
- Flexibility to work in a matrix manner, leading and supporting on a number of different project areas.
- Able to develop solutions in conjunction with other interests, balancing different and competing priorities.
- Able to develop and manage project plans to deliver work to time, budget and quality and to monitor delivery against milestones
- European, National, Regional and London policy developments and trends
- Assessment and appraisal techniques and their application
- Developing or assessing planning policies and procedures
- Compliance with regulatory and legal requirements
- Degree in Town Planning or other relevant degree or experience.
- Membership of relevant professional body (desirable).
- Good understanding of public transport systems, problems and interactions.
- Understanding of transport planning and the wider context to the development of projects and proposals.
- Good understanding of the role and duties of London’s transport organisations e.g. TfL, DfT, GLA and the boroughs and of the main transport policy and planning issues facing London.
- Good understanding of environmental consents and environmental appraisals process.
- Good understanding of central or local government organisations.
- Good knowledge and understanding of statutory consents and legal requirements to deliver infrastructure projects
- Good knowledge of planning applications, legislation relating to environmental impact assessments and/or Highway consents
- Experience in Town & Country Planning Act and Transport and Works Act Order submissions and co-ordination of all associated documentation (Design & Access Statements, Statement of Community Involvement etc.).
- Experience of successfully achieving statutory consents and approvals associated with major transport and infrastructure projects.
- Experience of internal and external stakeholder engagement.
- Experience in a transport or a comparable environment ideally in a consents role.
- Experience of working with others to deliver consents for projects, including managing and co-ordinating key partners.
- Experience of environmental impact assessment work.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: Sunday 3 November 2019 @ 23:59
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.