Principal Planning Officer
At the heart of the country, Leicestershire is a well located and connected county with a growing and diverse economy. The county is rich in environmental and historic assets, with three outstanding universities and a diverse and multi-cultural city. The Government’s Midlands Engine Strategy sets out a collective ambition for economic growth and prosperity and highlights many of Leicestershire’s key industries, universities and employment areas as places of national, and even global, significance.
There has never been a better and more exciting time to join the high performing Planning Team at Leicestershire. We have just adopted our Local Plan, which will shape the delivery of minerals and waste development up to 2031 in a county which is one of the principal producers of minerals in the country. The delivery of these raw materials and waste infrastructure will be fundamental in achieving the growth of Leicestershire and the success of the Midlands Engine.
The County Council is also investing in its own built development including schools, roads, housing, infrastructure, business and commercial development. The Planning Team will play a significant role in the delivery of these exciting projects.
The County Council currently has a vacancy for a Principal Planning Officer to undertake work associated with minerals, waste and the Authority’s own planning applications; carrying out monitoring and enforcement; ensuring that the County Council meets is statutory responsibilities in respect of the monitoring and review of the recently adopted Minerals and Waste Local Plan; the supervision of junior members of the team and deputising for management.
We are looking for someone with Chartered Membership of the RTPI who is experienced in minerals and waste planning. The individual should be dynamic and motivated with good communication and negotiation skills and a high level of organisation.
In return, you would be joining a friendly team in a progressive authority that is passionate about its people and would invest in your development. Specifically, you would receive:
• A competitive salary;
• The opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme;
• Investment in training and career development opportunities;
• Generous annual leave entitlement (between 27 and 32 days per year depending length of service);
• Great work life balance in an authority that has a positive attitude towards smarter working arrangements (compressed working hours, term-time only, job share, part-time and home working);
• The opportunity to join our workers groups (disabled workers group, black workers group, LGBT+ staff network, working carers group);
• Free parking and access to a range of local and national discounts on shopping, eating out, bus travel, health clubs and much more.
Leicestershire is a Timewise, Stonewall Top 100, Disability Confident and Mindful Employer organisation, we are strongly committed to promoting equality and opportunity, investing in staff training and development, and supporting employees to balance their working life with other commitments.