Group Manager – Development Management
Salary: £46,537 to £49,363 (plus relocation allowance if appropriate)
You probably already know that you want to live here; Mid Devon combines a magical rurality with the advantages of a highly successful university city on its doorstep. Thriving market towns, picturesque villages and rolling fields, with the benefit of outstanding surf and beaches, or Exmoor’s dark skies, less than half an hour away (or into London Paddington in 2 hours, if absolutely necessary!).
You might not know why this is also the perfect professional opportunity:
- We are one of the initial 14 areas in the country to secure national ‘garden village’ status for our planned expansion east of Cullompton.
- Our submitted Local Plan is at examination and includes a substantial opportunity site at junction 27 of the M5 motorway, which provides scope for a truly transformational development enhancing our leisure and tourism industries.
- We secured £18.2 million of Housing Infrastructure Funding in recognition of our commitment to delivering growth, and have recently been announced as successfully securing historic town funding to enhance and preserve our valuable historic assets.
- We are producing a joint strategic plan with our three neighbouring councils in the ‘Greater Exeter’ area and are seeing new opportunities for planning and economic collaboration across this substantial housing and economic area.
- We were shortlisted for the 2019 LGC Award for Driving Growth and have recently appeared in the 2019/20 Civil Society Parliamentary Review as a best practice representative.
This is an exceptional opportunity; we want the exceptional officer. As Group Manager for Development Management you will lead the development management, planning enforcement and historic conservation functions of the Council against a backdrop of balancing the needs of rural service provisioning with the challenges of ambitious spatial and economic growth delivery.
Naturally you’ll have extensive knowledge of planning legislation, procedures and practice, and substantial experience in Development Management. But you’ll also be a talented manager - recognising the value of supporting and empowering your team while delivering an empathetic and authentic approach with developers, members, applicants and objectors alike.
Working closely with the Head of Planning, Economy and Regeneration, this role has the ability to shape the future of Mid Devon and to work alongside an ambitious and energised management and leadership team to deliver a range of exciting projects and priorities as part of #TeamMidDevon.
A choice of relocation packages for candidates recruited from outside the District Council’s area are available. A satisfactory standard disclosure check and three years complete employment history will be requested in the event of you being offered the position.
For an informal discussion about the post, contact:
Jenny Clifford, Head of Planning, Economy & Regeneration or
Stephen Walford, Chief Executive & Director of Growth on 01884 255255
Visit our website at: https://www.middevon.gov.uk/your-council/jobs/current-vacancies/mg08-group-manager-for-development-management/ for full application details, or alternatively for an application pack, please contact: Human Resources, Mid Devon District Council, Phoenix House, Phoenix Lane, Tiverton, Devon, EX16 6PP
Tel: (01884) 234331 – out of hours answerphone service
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 21 October 2019 at 1.00 pm
POST NUMBER: MG08
VACANCY NUMBER: 2019065
Committed to Equality of Opportunity, we welcome applications from all sections of the community