Service Manager Development and Planning
Somerset is an exciting and vibrant place to live and work. The county has a diverse landscape with a mixture of rural and urban areas, including 4 AONB and Exmoor National Park. Somerset County Council is heavily involved in the Hinkley Point C development, at present the biggest construction project in Western Europe. This has brought about swift expansion to the area and the need for the infrastructure to transform rapidly. We are in a great position to continue to shape this growth and create great places, by way of our statutory responsibility for the minerals and waste plans and a genuine commitment to achieving the best for the people of Somerset. Somerset is a great place to develop a career in minerals and waste planning – the county is the country’s third largest aggregates producer and, in addition to waste policy matters associated with a growing population, there is the specific opportunity to engage in waste planning matters linked to nuclear decommissioning.
About the job:
You will lead a multi disciplinary team responsible for maintaining and developing SCC’s statutory plans for minerals and waste, undertaking SCC’s development management functions relating to minerals and waste and SCC’s own development and specialist environmental functions including SCC’s acoustics and ecology services.
What we’ll offer in return
We are proud to offer an environment that is supportive and rewarding, working as part of a team who are passionate about the work they do to improve the lives of people in Somerset. We offer great training and development opportunities, with supportive management. As well as this, we have some fantastic employee benefits available:
- We promote a healthy work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements wherever possible, including working from home.
- Generous annual leave allowance, with the opportunity to purchase additional leave.
- Staff discounts in gyms.
- Employee Assistance for the times you may need some support and a variety of employee wellbeing services.
- Auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme and optional pension enhancement through our Additional Voluntary Contribution scheme.
- A Flexible Benefits Scheme via salary sacrifice to obtain a cycle for work, computers, mobile phones and health screenings.
- My Staff Shop offering discounts in shops, online shopping, restaurants, cinema tickets, insurance benefits and more.
Somerset County Council is subject to Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent English will be an essential requirement for customer-facing roles.
Application close date: Midnight Sunday 27th October 2019
Final Panel Interviews: 12th & 14th November 2019
To formally apply for this opportunity please click the apply button.