Team Leader (Major Applications)
Aberdeen is a forward looking and culturally vibrant City with a proud architectural heritage situated at the heart of a region with an enviable quality of life. This is a key role in Development Management – a team that has responsibility for planning applications, master planning and the conservation and design of the built environment. In collaboration with management colleagues the post holder will be responsible for leading the Major Applications Team which handles a challenging and diverse caseload of major and significant planning applications. The successful candidate will be expected to manage the interface between the wider development industry and the planning application process for proposals that are crucial to the future sustainable economic development of the City.
For further information or informal chat, please contact Daniel Lewis on 01224 522250 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting a Manager as part of a team caring for the built and natural environment and creating the conditions for growth for Aberdeen through the development and implementation of an up-to-date and long-term land use and transportation planning framework and related matters to comply with statutory requirements.
More specifically to manage and supervise one of the Teams responsible for the Local Development Plan, Environmental Strategy, Development Management or Masterplanning Design and Conservation.
Chief Officer - Strategic Place Planning
The post holder will be expected to:
- Contribute to the management, preparation, monitoring and implementation of the Development Plan, through strategies, policies and supplementary guidance related to transportation, environment, conservation, outdoor access, landscape, masterplanning and development management.
- Work in partnership with other sections of the Service, other Council Services, external bodies, community organisations and the general public
- Advise and attend Council Committees and organising and supporting Council, local and national working groups/fora (including statutory groups) as appropriate
- Contribute to the development and implementation of related plans, strategies and projects of other Council Services and community planning partners
- Manage and supervise the day to day workload of the Team
- Deputise for and support the appropriate Manager or the Chief Officer when necessary.
The post holder needs to be able to demonstrate an understanding or experience of:
- Development planning, development management, transportation, urban design, environment, conservation, outdoor access, landscape and other planning related policy as appropriate to the specific role
- Relevant legislation and best practice
- Provisions within the Local Government (Scotland) Act 2003
- Health and safety requirements in the service area work portfolio
Job specific skills and competencies
The post holder is expected to demonstrate:
- Proven record of effective management and/or supervision of staff in a customer focused organisation
- Commitment to effective employee communication and engagement
- Ability to make the best use of resources
- Proven ability to work with others co-operatively (both internally and externally to the organisation)
- Ability to ensure that organisational and performance objectives and standards are achieved
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively, including managing conflict
- Ability to work well with colleagues to achieve corporate objectives
Requirements of the job
The post holder needs to hold as a minimum:
- Degree (or equivalent) in Planning or a related discipline (eg. Geography, Environmental Studies, Architecture, Urban Design etc)
- Full membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute or other appropriate professional organisation related to the demands of the post