Heritage and Conservation Advisor
Fixed term 2 years
New Fixed Term Post in Planning and Traffic & Transportation.
It is an exciting time to join the Planning Service at Enfield Council. Enfield holds significant potential for good growth and has an ambitious Council focussed on delivery. As a Planning Service we are energised and passionate about delivering proactive planning to help shape the Borough over the next 15 years and beyond. The recent opening of a new station at Meridian Water and the recent Field Day Festival herald a new phase of exciting regeneration projects coming forward, with the Council taking a proactive role in making things happen. As we progress with our new Local Plan, a number of exciting development proposals are starting to come through the planning process – some led by the Council, others by private developers - and we are in a position to bolster the capacity of the team to help get the most out of these projects. We are looking for exceptional candidates to join the team be part of the future that we are shaping.
Enfield is already a great place to live and work and has all the ingredients for future success. Our attractive historic market town boasts a prime location with great transport links into central London. We host a myriad of assets from great green spaces, cultural venues and countryside including the Lee Valley Regional Park and high performing industrial economy that is an engine room for London’s wider economy.
Enfield’s Place Department is looking to secure talented design, planning and tranpsort professionals within its Planning and Traffic and Transportation Services to provide additional capacity to a growing team. We are committed to delivering a high quality planning, design and heritage service and to ensuring successful placemaking and regeneration across the Borough.
The new Enfield Planning Service brings together Development Management and Strategic Planning and Design to lead both new strategic policy and help guide projects through the planning process to delivery.
We want to hear from applicants who can contribute positively to the Planning Service's culture and programme of service improvement and who are committed to striving for excellence in public planning.
It is a service priority to improve the quality of placemaking and urban design delivered in Enfield. We are seeking a Heritage and Conservation Officer to join the team to provide proactive conservation and heritage advice on PPAs, pre-applications and planning applications and work with the recently established Place Design Quality Review Panel. As part of their work the successful candidate will also be involved in contributing to developing design and conservation policies and guidance. We are committed to heritage-led regeneration and the positive and proactive management of the historic environment to contribute to good growth through the delivery of the borough's new Heritage Strategy and the successful candidate understand and help demonstrate how heritage can positively contribute to successful design and placemaking.
The main duties of these roles would be:
- Advocate for the highest quality of design (including urban design, public realm design, architecture and the historic environment)
- Provide proactive conservation and heritage advice on Major PPAs and schemes going through the planning system
- Work collaboratively as part of a team with colleagues in Development Management and Plan Making, the Planning Service in general and the wider Place Department
- Contribute to production of design and conservation policy and guidance, codes and masterplans.
- Promote the use of and productively work with the recently created Enfield Place Design and Quality Review Panel to improve the quality of schemes
- Provide advice and present updates and reports to officers, members and other stakeholders involved in Planning and wider Place Department projects.
- Promoting and building the reputation of the Planning Service, the Place Department and Enfield as a place
Why it's great to work for Enfield Council:
- An excellent pension through the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Up to 31 days annual leave depending on grade and length of service. You will also get eight public holidays per year and an extra day off at Christmas.
- Interest free season ticket loan repayable over three or ten months.
- Career development and learning experiences from a range of training courses and learning methods.
- Employee Assistance Programme to provide advice and counselling services. This is a free and confidential service available to staff and members of their family.
- Health and leisure discounts and tax-free bikes for work.
We are passionate about our people and how we deliver services to our community in Enfield. That’s why we encourage a culture that puts our customers at the heart of everything we do - by empowering our people to work together to find solutions, be open, honest and respectful, take responsibility and listen and learn. If you value these behaviours too, we’d love to hear from you - and of course we are always happy to talk flexible working, click here to find out more.
If you have any difficulties accessing this information, please contact Claire.Turner@enfield.gov.uk on Tel: 0208 132 1024. A textphone (minicom) is provided for those with a hearing or speech impairment on 020 8379 4419.
If you would like to know more about the role, please contact Vincent Lacovara on Tel: 0208 132 0664 or Neeru Kareer on Tel: 0208 379 1634 for an informal discussion.
To find out more, and to apply for this position please visit our website using the button provided.
Closing date: 10th October 2019 at 23:59pm
Interviews: w/c 28th October 2019