Strategic Development and Delivery Manager
The role of Strategic Development and Delivery Manager is a vital senior role within Ashford’s Planning and Development Service. Developed as a part of a service modernisation, you will be responsible for the strategic applications and planning enforcement teams. You will work across boundaries alongside four senior managers as part of the Planning Service Management Team to deliver service objectives as part of a collaborative matrix working structure.
The role focuses on the facilitation and the delivery of growth and development within the borough through the active management of major projects from pre-application to completion – often with the use of Planning Performance Agreements. Helping to build confidence with applicants and remove uncertainty over timescales you will operate as the go-to person for promoters of major developments. An enabler that pro-actively clears blockages, maintains partnership relationships and manages progress to keep delivery programmes on track. If you are a progressive and proactive planner that is serious about playing a major role in delivering high quality development to clearly defined programmes, this is the job for you.
The enforcement team works in a targeted way to tackle key enforcement issues – tactical judgements are needed on how workload is prioritised and how complex cases are handled. Significant parallels exist with the bespoke attention needed to deliver strategic sites in a carefully considered way suiting the individual circumstances of each case. It is imperative for the enforcement function to have the appropriate profile to match the importance in which it is viewed corporately.
You will be required to provide leadership and management of the Strategic Development and Delivery Team and be responsible for the delivery of this function across the borough along with:
- Managing and constructively working with the team leaders of the Strategic applications and Enforcement teams to ensure that the service performs to an excellent level; identifying career development paths for staff and opportunities and managing performance.
- Pro-actively contributing to the development of an exemplary planning service which is delivery focused and customer facing in its approach.
- To act as a principal point of contact for Members, public and the press in respect of the team’s work and attend Parish Council, amenity groups and other public meetings as required.
- Providing strong leadership to the team by keeping staff motivated, providing regular review and feedback sessions for team leaders.
- Providing oversight of appeals, monitoring of trends and preparation and delivery of evidence as the council’s expert planning witness at local hearings and public inquiries.
In order to deliver in this role you will have strong ‘people-management’ and interpersonal skills and have a good understanding of project and programme management processes and their application together with:
- The ability to drive innovation and change and able to react positively to altering demands and circumstances.
- Experience in preparing and the present robust written advice and communicating in a variety of formats.
- Experience in dealing with elected politicians and forming effective working relationships.
- Understanding of the value and importance of delivering good customer service and experience of driving change in work practices to secure this with a view to identifying customer service improvements and the prompt resolution of complaints
- The ability to inspire staff and set clear career paths to optimise the potential of all staff.
Closing date: 30.09.2019
Ashford Borough Council recognises the need to ensure the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults when they come into contact with the services we provide.