Head of Planning and Development
Job Title: Head of Planning and Development Grade: JNC1
Directorate: Regeneration & Development Service: Planning and Development
Post No: DD361
Date of Issue: July 2019
Responsible to: Executive Director – Commercial Development & Economic Growth
Responsible for: Planning & Development Service
Main Purpose of Job
- To manage the Council’s Planning & Development Service in accordance with the Council’s decisions, Scheme of Delegation, Standing Orders and Financial Regulations and operational policies and procedures. Functions assigned to the Service may be subject to change from time to time in response to the demands and challenges facing the Council and the requirements of the organisation. Key responsibilities currently include the core Planning and Development functions of Planning Policy, Development Management, Conservation & Heritage, Building Control and Land Charges & Information.
- To contribute to the strategic direction of the Council’s services, ensuring the delivery of high quality, customer focused, cost effective service.
- To provide leadership and direction to the Council’s ‘Plan-making’ ‘Place-shaping’, ‘development management’ and ‘sustainable development’ roles, maintaining an awareness of up to date legal and technical developments in relation to the Service’s functions.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure that the Council’s Local Development Scheme reflects local needs within both a regional and sub-regional context.
- To provide appropriate advice and guidance to the Council in respect of Transport Planning matters, including any necessary involvement with regional and/or sub-regional development of associated plans, policies and programmes.
- To ensure that the Council’s Building Control services/responsibilities are provided efficiently and effectively, including ongoing monitoring and review of service delivery arrangements (currently through a partnership with Stoke on Trent City Council).
- To ensure the provision of appropriate advice, guidance and services relevant to Conservation and Heritage matters.
- To represent the Service at senior level meetings and working groups and to be actively involved and key contributor in the senior management team of the Directorate
- To motivate, guide, support, monitor, develop and appraise the Service’s managers ensuring they receive the appropriate level of training.
- To work in conjunction with the Executive Director, to prepare and submit the annual service and Financial Plan for the Service to monitor expenditure using appropriate budgetary control systems.
- To be responsible for the efficient execution of the range of duties reasonably requested of and commensurate with the professional competence of a qualified Planning Officer and to be a Chartered Member of the Royal Planning Institute, maintaining the professional standards associated therewith.
- To represent the Council’s spatial planning interests by participating actively in sub-regional and regional forums.
- To ensure that the Council’s Development Management service (including planning/other applications, appeals and enforcement) performs efficiently and effectively in the context of national and or local performance indicators.
- To prepare proofs of evidence / reports and attend and present the same to Courts, Tribunals, Planning Appeals and Public Inquiries as an expert witness, as required.
- To participate in the Department’s out of hour’s emergency standby service if required.
- To ensure that the Council’s land charges and information service performs effectively and efficiently, in the context of national and local performance indicators, and meets statutory requirements.
Occasional Duties and Responsibilities
- To discharge all functions of the Council relevant to the responsibility of the post, which the Council may, from time to time, delegate to the post holder.
- To work outside normal office hours when the occasion demands, both scheduled and unscheduled, including to meet emergency situations and, if required, to participate in the Council’s emergency call out scheme
- To deputise for your Executive Director, as required, in particular in relation to service related issues.
- To be aware of and comply with current Health and Safety Regulations and the Borough Council’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures as they relate to the duties and responsibilities of the post.
- To be proactive in personal and professional development, updating knowledge and skills by appropriate means as agreed annually through the Council’s Performance Appraisal Scheme.
- To maintain awareness of risks and incorporate these into the formal risk management process and also to control the risks inherent in your service area.
- To produce any performance information required in a reliable, timely and accurate way, in accordance with the Council’s Data Quality Policy.
- To ensure that the service information systems are secure and are being operated in accordance with the appropriate legislation as well as the Council’s policies and procedures.
- To ensure that the principles of equality of opportunity are fully integrated and actively pursued within all areas of the Council’s service provision.
- To ensure that the Council’s Disaster Recovery programmes in relation to the service are in place and effective and to contribute to the development and maintenance of the Council’s Emergency Plan.
- To contribute to any internal and external audit programmes and be responsible for the implementation of agreed audit recommendations.
- To be aware of and adhere to the Council’s safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk of Abuse and Neglect Policy.
This job description is not exhaustive and provides an indication of the scope and length of the main duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by the post holder and may be subject to amendment or alteration. The job description may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances and does not form part of your Contract of Employment.
Apply for Head of Planning and Development
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Central Government Team Leader Transport Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Government Agency/Quango Team Leader Transport Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Property Team Leader Transport Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Local Authority Team Leader Transport Full Time jobs in Birmingham
- Other Public sector Team Leader Transport Full Time jobs in Birmingham