Development Management Masterplanner
In Kirklees, we are planning on a bright future. The adopted Local Plan sets ambitious housing and job growth targets. To meet this challenge we are looking to appoint a very experienced Masterplanner to work within the Development Management service to lead on the delivery of our strategic planning sites. Take a look at our Local Plan, sites including Bradley Park (2000 dwellings), Chidswell (1500 dwellings) and Dewsbury Riverside (4000 dwellings) are all places to be planned, designed and delivered through the lifetime of the Local Plan.
We want to create places that our communities, new and existing can be proud of. This is an exciting time to join our team as we start to plan, design and create the masterplans and design frameworks and infrastructure delivery plans to make these key sites a reality. You will be asked to lead on the planning stages, coordinate across the Council’s services the infrastructure requirements to help shape and realise the strategic housing and mixed use sites. Your skills and experiences in delivering and project managing sites of comparable scale to our allocations would be matched by our ambition to see high quality new settlements that improve the lives of our residents and facilitate big economic growth in the District.
Kirklees has also recently launched an ambitious housing development programme to build 10,000 homes by 2023 of which at least 1,000 will be on council-owned land and we are now looking for individuals with a strong background in housing development and regeneration to join us in this exciting and challenging initiative.
Our focus is on pace, innovation and often an ability to respond creatively to legislative and site constraints. The driving force behind the products and projects delivered is the overriding sense of satisfaction which comes from knowing that the work undertaken makes a tangible and often visible difference to our residents and businesses.
You will have responsibility for:
- Providing pre-application advice to prospective applicants for major and complex development schemes. Developing Planning Performance Agreements and acting as the lead officer.
- Project managing significant and complex Strategic and Major applications across the district.
- Seeking to add value to proposals and applications through advice, process management and timely decision making.
- Managing the delivery of effective and timely preparation and presentation of delegated reports and reports to Planning Committees.
- Contribute to and support negotiations on potential Section 106 contributions, in connection with planning proposals.
- Representing the Council as required at Informal Hearings and public enquiries and meetings.
- Input into service improvement initiatives.
- Supporting the Major Applications team leader, mentor junior staff, help maintain and improve service performance.
We are looking for talented people to join our ambitious, creative and highly collaborative team. We want to hear from you if you:
- Have experience of leading, supporting or contributing to the development, management and delivery of complex major regeneration and strategic scale applications, programmes and projects.
- Have a relevant professional qualification – MRTPI or RIBA is desirable.
- Have extensive experience in development management particularly in connection with large scale major development proposals with substantial infrastructure requirements.
- Have knowledge and experience of supervising and managing staff.
- Have in depth and extensive knowledge in the latest national planning policy; guidance, urban design, placing making and procedures.
- Have in depth experience of major or complex development proposals; their management and how to negotiate key outcomes on behalf of the Council with developers and/or key stakeholders
- Are experienced at working in a sensitive political environment.
- Have substantial knowledge and experience of preparing and presenting evidence at public inquiry or examination.
This is an exciting and challenging time for Kirklees and we need more talented and ambitious people to join our team. If you are this person, we look forward to hearing from you.
In order to be shortlisted for this job please demonstrate how you meet the Person Checklist as detailed on the attached Job Profile - this information needs to be inserted under the 'Relevant skills, experience and behaviours' section on the Application Form.