Highways Drainage Engineer
- Be responsible for the detailed technical assessment of development related highway drainage works proposed for agreement under S.38 and S.278 of the Highways Act and use professional judgement and other resources as appropriate to review, audit and approve designs by third parties for making alterations or additions to the borough's highway network.
- Provide technical advice to Planners on highway drainage engineering matters including Sustainable Urban Drainage Schemes; and at times non highway drainage solutions including those for private, domestic and commercial sites.
- Provide technical advice and support to colleagues, and external clients when carrying out Technical Audits and site supervision on all related drainage matters.
- To actively investigate, design and review drainage engineering solutions, for a variety of internal and external clients including the preparation of detailed reports, and suggesting alternatives to traditional drainage methods in relation to new development. Such information will be used in the under both S38 and S278 works, or for the discharging of planning conditions.
- Proactively lead, instigate and participate in discussions with developers in order to assist in the delivery of sustainable urban drainage solutions within new development.
- To provide detailed technical support in the preparation and presentation of any highway drainage guidance or policies used as part of the Authorities Regulatory role.
- To act as Principal Designer under the CDM Regulations where required.
- Production of studies, assessments and/or conceptual designs for development schemes including drainage, roads, utilities, flooding and sustainability.
- Be responsible for carrying out and checking detailed design calculations; prepare engineering design drawings, specifications and information.
The post holder will:
- Demonstrate a high level of creativity in ascertaining the most appropriate drainage engineering measures necessary for the safe and efficient integration of traffic generated by new developments into the existing highway network.
- Demonstrate forward thinking and a modern approach to the design, procurement and delivery of sustainable street layouts. This is to ensure a safe and convenient environment for residents of new developments which provides for the needs of public transport, cyclists and pedestrians and an acceptable quality and standard of construction for adoptable areas which can be maintained at reasonable cost.
- Be expected to apply creativity and innovation to ensure that any mitigating measures are designed in such a way to support the Council's approach of improving the urban and rural environment and minimising future maintenance costs, whilst ensuring designs are safe and effective.
- Be expected to produce highly complex and technical engineering reports, designs, drawings and calculations.
- Be expected to produce realistic cost estimates for drainage schemes.
The position can offer an element of flexible working with a negotiable hourly rate for the right candidate.
To hear more about the position or to register interest, please call either myself (Matt) or any of the Highways and Transport team on 0207 766 9000.