Senior Highways Agreements Engineer
- To provide comprehensive engineering advice on developers' highway design and construction proposals in line with national standards and Council policy, so as to achieve technical approval for the drawings and specifications which will form the basis of proposed highway infrastructure agreements (under Section 38 and 278 of the Highway Act 1980).
- Provide advice on Transport Development matters from initial enquiry through to the Technical Approval and adoption processes.
- Provide expert professional advice and guidance to planning officers, developers, agents and internal consultees on transportation issues and requirements to achieve quality designs.
- Agree to and justify acceptable departures from standards having regard to highway designs, highway safety and sustainability.
- Negotiate with developers, agents and other Council officers on all Transport Development design and construction works, and associated legal agreements.
- Assist the processing of applications as required in respect of the adoption of new highway and alterations to the existing highway infrastructure pursuant to planning and highway legal agreements (Section 38/278 Agreements, Minor Works applications and where possible make use of the Advance Payment Code).
- Calculate Bond and commuted sums required for the each development scheme in conjunction with the responsible Asset Manager.
- Instruct the Borough Solicitor to prepare and enter into legal agreements with developers for completion of highway works to the satisfaction of the Authority.
Knowledge & Experience
- Significant proven experience of technical approval of major transportation projects under Section 38 and 278 of the Highway Act 1980.
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of UK highway design standards, including DMRB, Manual for Streets, Specification of Highway Works and British Standards (BS/BS EN).
- Have good awareness of Highway Drainage Design Standards, SuDS design, Public Realm design, Flood Alleviation Schemes, Street Lighting Design and be able to evaluate a Departures from Standard process.
- Full understanding of relevant planning and highway legislation/policies and their application for example, the planning process, s278, s106, s38, the Highways Act, commuted sums, Private Street Works Code and Advance Payment Code.
- Significant experience of assessing transportation impacts on a strategic and local level.
- Writing clear, cogent and plain English report on complex issues, drawing evidenced conclusions, and making formal recommendations of behalf of the Local Highway Authority.
- Contributing to and reviewing Policy documents, Construction and Design specifications.
- Engaging in financial negotiations, undertaking research, analytical assessment and evidenced conclusions to support mitigation packages.
- Work under significant time-frame and financial pressures.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences. Ability to do so orally and written to convey information accurately and concisely with diplomacy, tact, sensitivity and assertiveness.
- Understand and interpret technical drawings and information.
- Computer literacy in word processing, databases, spreadsheets, GIS and presentation packages as required for day to day undertakings of the job.
- Ability to undertake site visits to construction sites, knowledge of Health & Safety, CDM Regulations.
- Undertake duties above for both minor and strategically complex issues with little Management supervision.
If the position sounds like something you would be interested in or if you would like to hear more about the role then please get in contact on 0207 766 9027
Alternatively, if you are interested in any potential positions similar to this one or in a different area, please do get in touch as many of my roles are not advertised, especially if I have candidates in mind.