Planning Policy Manager
Looking to make an impact in place shaping, policy development and delivery? Join our team and experience the best of both worlds working for a private/public sector partnership in the heart of Norfolk.
We are looking for an experienced Planning Policy Manager to join Capita at an exciting time for the Capita/Breckland District Council Partnership seeking to deliver the new Breckland Local Plan.
Breckland sits in the heart of Norfolk within half an hour of Norwich city and the beautiful North Norfolk coast. The Breckland Local Plan seeks to deliver two Strategic Urban Extensions as well as new housing, employment and retail development in the districts market towns and the plan is currently under examination. Hearing sessions have been completed and subject to a consultation on modifications to the plan and the Inspectors final report, the plan is anticipated to be adopted next year.
Help us to complete the final stages of the Local Plan examination and then embark upon the development of a new Design Supplementary Planning Document to guide development in the district. There is potential that the Local Plan will require review in future and you would join us at the start of this process.
We are currently looking to recruit an experienced, motivated individual to Manage our successful Planning Policy Team based in Dereham. This will involve taking a lead role on the planning policy service provided to Breckland Council. As part of this, there is the responsibility for agreeing and delivering an annual programme of planning policy work for the Council and overseeing the successful delivery of a wide range of projects.
As our Planning Policy Manager you will:
- Manage a small team of planning professionals delivering the annual work programme of planning policy work for Breckland Council and consultancy commissions;
- Provide support and advice to the development management team, on strategically important planning applications, enforcement and appeals;
- Provide timely, comprehensive and accurate reports and recommendations on planning policy issues;
- Attend and present to Breckland Council’s Committees;
- Provide professional advice on planning matters to clients, the public, Members of the Council, and others as necessary;
- Attend and present at various public meetings; including to Town and Parish Councils in the District;
- Keep up to date with current legislation and policy changes, including CPD requirements;
Your experience will include:
- A minimum eight years post qualification work in planning policy work;
- A proven track record of leading in the delivery of Local Plan documents, including ability to use your initiative to shape the strategic direction of the plan and sufficient knowledge and understanding of the full range of technical matters involved (e.g. housing, environment, infrastructure etc);
- Experience of, or the clear potential for, team leadership, including ability to prioritise, manage and delegate tasks;
- A degree qualification in Town and Country Planning or equivalent experience; along with Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute;
- A thorough knowledge of current planning legislation, and issues relating to local plan preparation;
- Good verbal and written communication skills to include an ability to make concise focused oral presentations to a wide range of audiences;
- Salary to be negotiated subject to knowledge and experience;
- Fees paid for chartered RTPI membership;
- Opportunities for training, additional experience and progression within the organisation including the potential for secondments to other sections and the potential to work on wider projects;
- Work on the delivery of an ambitious plan which seeks to deliver two Strategic Urban Extensions for thousands of houses in Thetford and Attleborough.
- Live and work in a beautiful location, close to the thriving city of Norwich as well as the unrivalled Norfolk coastline.
- Potential for flexible working, subject to requirements.
In 2009 Capita was appointed as partner to Breckland District Council to provide its Town Planning and Building Control service. Our team, based in the Council’s offices in Dereham, provide the Council with the full range of planning policy, development management and building control services. We also provide consultancy services to other councils and to the private sector, with access across the Capita Business to a full range of built environment consultancy support.
Capita Limited is one of the largest and fastest growing consultancies in the UK Property and Infrastructure markets with approximately 4000 staff in 50 plus United Kingdom locations with a turnover in excess of £200m. Working for Capita offers the potential to progress and be involved in wider projects and provides experience of both public and private sector planning work.
We invest heavily in our people, recognising that our staff are our most valuable asset. Individual training plans and accelerated schemes foster an environment of continual personal development.
All of this, in a professional but fun environment.