Business Unit Leader - Planning Policy & Economy - Mid Sussex
Business Unit Leader for Planning Policy and Economy
Salary: Up to £58,433 pa
JOB OF THE MONTH
- Lead on the preparation of the planning policy documents, including the Site Allocations Development Plan Document, required to support and shape development in the District
- Lead on the development and introduction of the Community Infrastructure Levy;
- Drive Economic Growth in one the most attractive areas to live in the UK
- Manage the successful delivery of the Burgess Hill Growth Programme including the Homes England proposals for 3,500 new homes and associated infrastructure
- Live in beautiful AONB countryside whilst having fantastic links to London, Brighton and Gatwick.
Mid Sussex is a District in the south east of England with ambition. A short distance from Gatwick, less than an hour from London and twenty minutes from Brighton, Mid Sussex is a very desirable place to live and work: indeed, it is regularly placed in the top 20 places to live in the country. In order to ensure the Vision for the District can be delivered the Council has recently adopted a District plan. However, there are a raft of additional supporting planning documents which need to be prepared including a Site Allocations DPD, Design Guide SPD, the CIL DPD and a range of Masterplans to help shape growth in town centres.
In order to ensure that the District is economically resilient the Council has recently approved an Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan and has invested considerably in a team to deliver on the action plan and secure inward investment. Leading and developing this growth is a key part of this role.
Mid Sussex has one of the most significant programmes of growth in the South East of England. With a vision to deliver transformative change to the town of Burgess Hill, which will secure major growth and significant improvements in housing, jobs, infrastructure, and social and community facilities, through a Homes England scheme. The programme will deliver 3,500 new homes, over 15,000 jobs, major improvements to key roads, new primary and secondary schools, increased capacity at GP practices, new and improved leisure facilities, and full-fibre digital infrastructure that will meet the needs of 21st century businesses. There are additional challenges in the continued development in Haywards Heath as well as in rural town and villages in the area.
Mid Sussex District Council offices are situated in the town of Haywards Heath. It lies
- 36 miles south of London,
- 14 miles north of Brighton,
- 13 miles south of Gatwick Airport
- 31 miles east northeast of Chichester
The Council offices are mere 8 minutes from the train station which provides excellent rail links to;
- London - 49 mins
- Brighton - 15 mins
- Worthing - 37 mins.
The Business Unit Leader (Planning Policy and Economy) will have day to day responsibility for the preparation, consultation and implementation of the District Plan and associated documents and to take responsibility for the development and implementation of policies and projects required to support Mid Sussex’s sustainable economic growth programme. You will report directly to the Divisional Leader for Planning and Economy and assist and deputise for them when required. With responsibility for approximately 10 staff you will lead in promoting an enthusiastic and customer focussed approach to the delivery of Council services.
Our continued ambition is to not only grow and support local business but to have them remain local. We also have ambitions for the development of a science and technology park to attract new creative and technical organisations to the area.
As well as being a member of the RTPI you’ll be able to evidence high quality experience in Planning Policy and presenting to Council Members. You will have extensive knowledge of the Local Development Framework process, Local Development Scheme and regulations relating to Strategic Environmental Assessments and Sustainability Appraisals.
You will constantly be looking to promote and develop effective partnerships within both the public and private sectors. You will also take a lead role in community and stakeholder engagement events at the Issues and Options stage for Development Plan Documents.
Development and promotion of the District’s economy is key for us here at Mid Sussex and you will respond as appropriate to strategies and initiatives from SEEDA and other bodies.
How to apply?
For an information pack or an informal and confidential discussion on this role, please call Shaun Lewis now on 020 7859 4246 option 1. Our dedicated hotline is open between 8AM - 8PM. Please do not hesitate to get in touch, we are looking forward to hearing from you. Email enquiries can be sent in confidence to email@example.com
* All applications will need to be made online on the Mid Sussex DC website.
* Lewis Davey is a specialist Town Planning Recruitment Consultancy and has been appointed to manage the application process for all candidates. With over 20 years of Planning Recruitment experience and our ability to obtain direct answers to your queries means that you can get the information you need to start your application immediately. We are here to help facilitate the process.
Close Date: Tuesday 15th January 2019
Interview Dates: from 21st January 2019