Principal Development Management Officer - Local Authority
Statistically the most affordable local authority in England and Wales in 2017, with median house prices being 2.7 times median workplace-based annual earnings, Copeland is one of the North West’s most exciting areas. With stunning natural beauty landscapes bounded by the quiet sandy beaches of the west coast, mountains with tranquil valleys, rivers and lakes, and a variety of small towns and villages full of character.
The Council is very much open for business and is committed to an ambitious growth agenda to deliver new development and secure a sustainable legacy for its communities. Already acknowledged as a Centre of Nuclear Excellence and with a £300m regeneration project of the town led by BEC and partners, Copeland is one of the fastest growing economies in the UK.
We are looking to appoint a Principal Development Management Officer who will provide professional planning expertise and support the Council’s development management team. They will take a lead role within the team and deal with a case load of the more complex/controversial planning applications, appeals and planning enforcement matters.
To exceed in the role, you must have the following skills;
- Lead by example, demonstrating professionalism, drive, energy and a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Be self-motivated, demonstrating ability to make independent decisions and recommendations.
- Lead and take responsibility for major projects.
- Take an Innovative approach
- Work to deadlines
- Experience of mentoring/coaching in staff development
- Relocation Assistance - that ensures an employee is supported financially to make the move
- Essential car user allowance
- Flexible working hours
- Family friendly working to help balance work/home life
- Child care vouchers
- Generous pension scheme
Specific Service Area Responsibilities
- Assist the Planning Development Manager in leading the team and maintain performance by progressing major and complex applications, to a high standard and in accordance with prescribed timescales to support and underpin the growth agenda of the borough.
- Manage a caseload of the more complex / controversial planning applications from pre-application and validation stage through to determination, discharge of conditions, appeals and planning enforcement matters.
- Supporting the Planning Development Manager in managing and developing the Development Management Service, including the mentoring and coaching of subordinate staff and carrying out employee performance management interviews / reviews as required.
- Providing professional planning advice within the Council to both officers and members, including presentation of planning applications at Planning Panel meetings.
- Providing professional planning advice to outside bodies, developers and the general public, including pre-application advice in respect of major development proposals.
- Providing a professional input to strategic planning, in particular the Local Development Framework, including development briefs, land supply, master planning.
- Taking a proactive role in the identification and introduction of new systems and techniques to improve the way the Council works and to generate efficiencies and potential income. To arrange and manage PPA’s as required.
- Application deadline = Sunday 9th September (Midnight)
- Interviews W/C 17th September
How to Apply?
For an information pack or an informal and confidential discussion on this role, please call us now on 020 7859 4246. Our dedicated and manned hotline is open between 8AM - 8PM. Please do not hesitate to get in touch, we are looking forward to hearing from you. Email enquiries can be sent to email@example.com
*Lewis Davey is a specialist Town Planning Consultancy and has been appointed to manage the application process for all candidates. With over 20 years of Planning Recruitment experience and our ability to obtain direct answers to your queries means that you can get the information you need immediately to start your application. We are here to help facilitate the process.